General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My son wants a bike.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Bobby9621
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are going to support him, get him the course, and a full face helmet. I'm sure I'll get some smack talk for that one. Anyways, have him start on a 500 cruiser and work his way up, build the confidence first. Like people have said he is an adult, so just guide him and hope he continues to make strong choices.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 AM
nighttrainwayne
Cruiser

I couldnt agree more. My 17 year old Son has taken a very serious interest in my old school Kaw KZ 750. After riding ATV's and dirt bikes since he was 5, I have zero problem with it. Momma is happy too, even tho the bike was originally intended for her (she's happy riding with me). So I say go with it, get him into a safety course, if for nothing else, it will save on insurance. Just my .02. I for one cant wait to end this deployment so I can get back home and ride with him.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nighttrainwayne
I couldnt agree more. My 17 year old Son has taken a very serious interest in my old school Kaw KZ 750. After riding ATV's and dirt bikes since he was 5, I have zero problem with it. Momma is happy too, even tho the bike was originally intended for her (she's happy riding with me). So I say go with it, get him into a safety course, if for nothing else, it will save on insurance. Just my .02. I for one cant wait to end this deployment so I can get back home and ride with him.
Safe home to you.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 AM
phatdaddymo
Advanced

My oldest son is 28 & in the military, the last ten years he has spent more time in the sandbox than stateside, this being said when he is home though, we go for a ride every chance we get. Wouldn't have it any other way. Looks kinda goofy though, long haired old greybeard w/ a mustache down to his collarbone on an '04 heritage & a trim, fit young man on an '07 ZX-14. We get a LOT of funny looks & love every minute of it!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:53 AM
overstockwheels
6th Gear
Post Re:

I think riding a bike is not much difficult, because I am riding my harley davidson from one year and still i have not get any accident. See it's up to you that how you are riding a bike if you are riding very safely than you have no danger. So i think if you son will be careful for that than it is ok.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I was in a similar situation with my teenage son years ago. Besides riding motorcycles, I climb mountains and do ice alpine/ice climbing. When I first got my son involved in ice climbing(a sport that is also "unforgiving"...), my wife pulled me aside and told me if anything happened to him...I would have no place to hide...She had serious concerns. I MADE my son take CERTIFIED courses before he could come with us. He said he could learn from me but I told him you want to get the BEST training direct from the source (not passed on...). My son admitted to me when he got older that the courses I pushed him to take made a huge positive difference!! We have had over 15 years of great experiences and sometimes he corrects me on a climb. Have him take a course or 2, ride with him and correct his riding habits and tell him to use his head!!! That's about all you can do. You have to live your life, but live it smartly!! Stack the odds that you can control in your favor! Hope both of you ride safe!!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:00 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bikes have a higher fatality record than cars for the reason that so many novice riders are getting high powered bikes and killing themselves on them, the kids that have ridden dirt bikes are some of the safer ones, I worry more about the 30, 40 or 50 somethings that have zero experience and jump on a large capacity bike thinking it makes them a road warrior, if your kid wants a bike then start them on something smallish and get them some proper training and spend a lot of time riding with them and showing them where the dangers are.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

i had bikes from about 16 years old , i started off riding when i was about 12 or 13 , off road and in my Saturday job employers yard , popping wheelies and just generally mucking about , i was hooked
my dad hated bikes , and said he would never lend me money to buy one , just in case i got hurt , and he would feel guilty that he had helped my buy it , but he wouldn't stop me having one.

i completely understood this , because my dad is a very caring and loving man , who always does his best to protect us as a family ,
so i saved my money , and bought a brand new KMX 125 as soon as i could ride legally.

I'm now 46 , my dad still doesn't like me riding , but he has mellowed a bit ,
parents will always be over protective of there children , thats our job ,
i don't know if i would help my son buy a bike financially for the same reason as my dad .
but i would help him pick a good one , help him maintain it properly , ride with him and show him the ropes kind of thing , i think that would be cool
good luck ... i hope it works out

Last edited by MADDOG187; 03-07-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey if he is 20,decision is already out of your hands.What are you gonna do,pull the old bullcrap,"your living under my roof,you do what i say"?Hey in some matters that's true.But the kids gotta live his own life.My youngest son bought a Harley when he was 20,watched him put it down at speed,rode it like a short tracker till it stopped.Nearly chit my pants till i got to him and saw he was alright.Kids 26 now already paid off his second Harley.Do yourself and your kid a favor.If its not an illegal thing he wants to do SUPPORT HIM !

Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 AM
MoparBob
Cruiser

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I started riding when I was 10 (off road) and got my NM license when I was 13 (100cc and below). Some of my fondest memories growing up are going out and riding with my dad and brothers (everyone in the family either rides or has ridden at some time).

My opinion: enjoy sharing the experience of riding with your son and offer him the guidance I am sure he will appreciate. An MSF (or comparable course) is a superb way to get started and definitely helps with insurance and the licensing process in most states.

Quick Reply: My son wants a bike.