General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping Gear (Tent's)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only got through page `1, so bear with me if this is a repeat, but

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...spx?c=80&s=890

I've done business with these guys for about 7 years, and they've always done right by me. No hassle, no static returns, and that always says good things to me. (the $25 annual membership saves me over $200 a year, on average.)

I bought this one and love it.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=900762

Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to use it a lot try bikertent.com. PLace for you and your ride.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 AM
kknickmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Eureka 2 man Timberline. I've paid a lot more for tents that I haven't liked. It's free standing, quick to set up. A ground cloth that's sized right, as important as a decent tent in keeping you dry. Self-inflating matress for comfort and a travel pillow. At least a 30 degree sleeping bag, you can always leave it open.
It sounds like a lot but I've fit that inside a Kayak before going down the Salmon River for 10 days. Most people pack too many clothes and not enough gear. Kurt

Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mec

As was said earlier - go to a pro hiker place like Mountain Climbing Equipment co-op (MEC) where they sell gear to climb mount Everest and ****, and talk to an expert there.

Some of these guys carry packs on their back 14 days into the woods where the nearest car is a 7 day walk out of the woods.

You will learn about ultra light camping, and then you can build your own travelling solution. I have one for me and my wife which is designed for 2 up and still can keep us both super comfy, but it's too much to try to list here. If you want specifics pmail me.

From the high level we have a mess kit with dishes and food, a water system with renewable purification, sleep system with insulation, pillow and superb comfort, custom Kermit chairs, mobile office with internet, and renewable power source set up, etc - all sustainable so that my bike is a mobile office and RV when I need it to be. This set up is more comfortable than motel/hotel camping, and about 1/5th or better the cost, but you have to be able to pay for the gear up front if you're going that way.

I should mention I don't like camping as much as I like extending my range of riding so this all serves a purpose.

As for the professional camping stores mentioned like MEC, you can always go there to learn, and then improvise from what you've learned.

We're upgrading to a Redverz motorcycle tent this year from a ***** Hubba - which is a famous tent that is used in ultra-light hiking/camping/climbing. Neither is cheap but if you look you'll see why.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
Due to the fact that I wouldn't have to pack a bag along with a tent I am leaning more towards a Bivy, something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Quest-Wat.../dp/B0056SOA48
That would be the one I'd go with. Also like the color, to keep some idiot from driving over you. I have the Army issued sleep system, with gore-tex bivy cover, but it doesn't include poles to raise the cover off of you and I'd rather have orange than camo.

Last edited by brenn; 04-06-2012 at 10:02 AM.