General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback spongey front brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,115 Likes on 17,553 Posts

Originally Posted by gs34doc
We found this to be true on all 3 bikes!!!!......but not on any of the other new bikes on the floor........Something's not right!!!
Now that's interesting and the dealers are ducking it ..............................

Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

damn cheap chinese parts

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Bear63
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchback Brakes

I just bought my Switchback less than a month ago. I have had the brakes bled 2x and Master Cylinder rebuilt, waiting to hear back from HD if there is an issue with these, but it sounds like there is. I don't like pulling the brake and it goes to the throttle. May be using Lemon Law if can't get this fixed soon, getting Heritage instead.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Had that problem after putting new cables on my bike. Tried various bleeding methods and the lever was still spongy with too much travel.

Finally tried zip tying the lever brake lever back with the master cylinder at highest point overnight x2. Lever was as hard as a rock after that.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 PM
DEBBIEHD
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Bartley1
My buddy just got a Switchback and is complaining about the front brake. You can pull the lever all the way back to the grip without much pressure. He's taken it back to the dealer twice. First time they bled the system and said there were a few small air bubbles. Last time they said they could do nothing and that's just the way it is. He's coming off of an XR1200 with 2-finger braking but pulling to the grip doesn't seem right. Anyone else experience the same or have any suggestions?
Not sure if your buddy got his brake problem solved but I know what the problem is. June of this year I got my 2012 Switchback before I took delivery the salesman said they replaced the master cyl for me. After sitting overnight & the first pull on the brake it has a soft pull then after that it's fine. Have your dealer replace the master cyl will solve your problems.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I found the same thing...front brake is very spongy. I can pull the lever in all the way to the throttle, but the front brake does work. My Lowrider wasn't like that and I'm going to bleed the front brake and see if that pull tightens up. You should not be able to pull the lever in like that...not normal. I'm hoping bleeding it will fix the problem.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM
billiamharley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid dealers - find another one. Sometimes it takes a while to get the brakes completely bled out; failing that it's a bad master cylinder. Shame on HD for letting bikes out like that. But the last portal of new bike safety is the dealer; it's in their bike setup fee. The good dealers would have caught this and fixed it before the customer would ever know. Then dealer notifies HD that something is wrong with their quality control.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Just do it...it's air in the system.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM
rathbone7
Stage II
Default I have the same issue

Originally Posted by Bartley1
My buddy just got a Switchback and is complaining about the front brake. You can pull the lever all the way back to the grip without much pressure. He's taken it back to the dealer twice. First time they bled the system and said there were a few small air bubbles. Last time they said they could do nothing and that's just the way it is. He's coming off of an XR1200 with 2-finger braking but pulling to the grip doesn't seem right. Anyone else experience the same or have any suggestions?
My 2012 Switchback has the same issue. The dealer has bled the brakes 3 times. After the 3rd the service manager rode it out and literally screamed when he pulled the lever and it sank to the grip. Even so he gave it to me and said to try it out. Today I pulled the brake to hold on my driveway and the bike kept rolling. It is going back to the dealer and either they fix it or replace the bike. Knowing this is not isolated to me will help me deal with the service department.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
kh24
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just at my dealership and felt the 2 switchbacks they had. Both were awful. One lever came back almost to the grip and the other one actually touched the grip. I would question if these brakes could ever really work. I am also suspect of why dealers would put the bikes on the floor like that. I mean they charge you that absurd prep fee.

Quick Reply: Switchback spongey front brake