General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline Shockproof question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Milk of magnesia...tried it, didnt care for it. Living in Florida I've found that RP 75-145 works best. That Shockproof is way too slippery and attaches to everything in the gear box. I'm still seeing pink when draining the RP for service and that was 3 changes now.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Redline is a good choice have it one of my bikes,other bike has the Amsoil blue same quality.Drain and fill no need for flush.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
That Shockproof is way too slippery and attaches to everything in the gear box.
If it's too slippery,how can it attach to anything?

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 03-25-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Milk of magnesia...tried it, didnt care for it. Living in Florida I've found that RP 75-145 works best. That Shockproof is way too slippery and attaches to everything in the gear box. I'm still seeing pink when draining the RP for service and that was 3 changes now.

I don't understand how something made to be slippery is too slippery. That's like saying some broad has too nice of an ***.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I use Redline in all 3 holes. Happy with it.... been for years. Just one thing...not recommended for Bedroom use...

Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Draining the tranny when hot/warm will help.
Zackly, one drain and fill good advice and "hot" drain will be the best.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

Just drain the Formula and put in the Redline. I replaced the Mobil 1 with Redline during last oil change about 2500 miles ago. Did not see a huge change. Maybe a little easier to hit nuetral and a little less 5th gear whine.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Redline

Originally Posted by dickey
I have been thinking of switching over to Redline Shockproof full synthetic in the tranny ONLY in my '07 RKC.

I have 2 questions regarding it's use. My only reason to switch is that I wanna quiet down the 5th gear clatter, although I only notice it with the windsheild on. Will this oil quiet down my 5th gear? That's the only reason I wanna change.

Also--do I need to flush my tranny completely of Formula+, or can I just drain it & dump in the Redline? I figured I would just dump it in, ride a hundred miles, then change it again, just to be sure. Or is that necessary? Thanks you in advance.
Call Redline. I was going to use their GEAR OIL in tranny and poured it in the oil bag on top of a fresh change of Mobil 1. Posted my error here a couple of days ago. Drained oil bag and refilled without starting motor. Friendly guy at Redline in California said what residue remained would not be a problem. Told me not to use Gear Oil in tranny but to use their TRANSMISSION OIL. Their phone # is on the oil container. Weather has been too wet for me to get out so motor has not been started but he assured me my mixture, what little there is, is not a ptoblem. Agree, that stuff is thick and sticky but he was sure one change would be ok.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM
stokes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use redline in the tranny and primary,not sure what was in there before,guy I bought it from had the dealer do it and didnt ask.It made a big difference in noise and shifted much smoother,finding neutral never a problem now.I have heard it is too thick for use in cold weather,but I see no difference cold or hot.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:38 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Call Redline. I was going to use their GEAR OIL in tranny and poured it in the oil bag on top of a fresh change of Mobil 1. Posted my error here a couple of days ago. Drained oil bag and refilled without starting motor. Friendly guy at Redline in California said what residue remained would not be a problem. Told me not to use Gear Oil in tranny but to use their TRANSMISSION OIL. Their phone # is on the oil container. Weather has been too wet for me to get out so motor has not been started but he assured me my mixture, what little there is, is not a ptoblem. Agree, that stuff is thick and sticky but he was sure one change would be ok.
The "V-Twin Transmission w/Shock Proof" is exactly the same as their "Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil for Differentials" and is exactly the same price, so that kinda shoots the overpriced product aimed at the bike market theory, overpriced maybe but not because it's aimed at bikes.

Quick Reply: Redline Shockproof question