General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Garmin navigation system.... what are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

As mentioned the Zumo line is made for motorcyclists, usually this means a bit more durable to handle vibrations, more weather resistant, bigger fonts for easier reading and bigger buttons that function while you are wearing gloves.

I would go with either a Zumo 660 or 665. Just take a look at the features and see which one fits your needs/wants.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:38 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

I like my 550 a lot. Very user friendly.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Rick14221
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

550 no problem with calculating. does it instantly...you can make the screen larger. I wear glasses and never had a problem. I also bought a screw from someone on this forum that makes taking the zumo off super easy

Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The GPS units listed so far seem to go for between $600 - $900. Are there any cheaper units that are motorcycle friendly?

Old 04-04-2012, 05:07 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a Garmin Nuvi 5000.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Zumo 450

Some of My road trips are specific routes and locations... Does Great..

I got the 450 because I don't faceboot, twit, Blacktooth ot metube..
Just pop a CD in with 8 hrs of misic and see ya later

Last edited by katobird; 04-04-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought the Zumo 450 used off a member here and it was like brand new. I think I paid $250 for it and it is great. Doesn't have bluetooth which I couldn't care less about but I like that it can play MP3s so I can have tunes on it while I ride.
This is the 4th Garmin device we have bought and they all work perfectly.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 785 and love it. It has bluetooth that I use and MP3 that I have not used yet. I took it on a 2,000 mile trip last summer and lots of short trips. It has gotten a little wet a couple of time but has not hurt it yet.
Like me, it was pretty cheap. Less than $200 reconditioned if I remember right. It had a problem that I caused and Garmin warranteed it after I told them it was my fault.
As far as I am concerned nobody makes GPS's but Garmin.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
I believe the only Garmins that will output speech via bluetooth are the Zumo's = $$$
I use the Garmin Nuvi 1695
Huge screen, has weather warnings when rain is in the area and has an animated radar screen so you can avoid storms
( this service is a couple bucks a month)

I like it a lot, has bluetooth and you can answer and place calls thru it

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=402&pID=70853

LIVE 1695
more images View larger image
Part Number: 010-00912-00
Suggested Retail Price: $ 319.99 USD

Find a Store

Features
Specs
In the Box
Versions
Accessories
Compatible Maps

Enjoy the convenience of receiving certain real-time online content on the go with nüLink! 1695. From fuel prices to Google™ Local Search, you'll be the first to know with Garmin nüLink! services¹.
Travel Like a Local

With Garmin nüLink! services, accurate real-time online information is delivered wirelessly to your nüLink! 1695. In the U.S., each nüLink! 1695 includes a free 1-year nüLink! subscription. After the 1-year period ends, service costs $60 a year — that’s only $5 a month.

U.S. nüLink! services include the following conveniences:

Google™ Local Search to find local points of interest (POIs)
traffic services that deliver alerts for delays and road construction then automatically guide you around them in the shortest time
nearby fuel prices for regular, mid-grade, premium or diesel
Ciao!™ friend finder
weather
movie times
local events
Send to GPS
flight status
currency converter
White Pages

Turn-by-turn Directions

nüLink! 1695 has an intuitive interface that greets you with 2 simple options: "Where To?" and "View Map." Touch the color screen to easily look up addresses and services and get voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions that speak street names to your destination. It comes preloaded with detailed City Navigator® NT street maps for the U.S., Canada and Mexico, nearly 6 million POIs, 2-D or 3-D maps and speed limits for most major roads in the U.S. and Europe. And with HotFix® satellite prediction, nüvi calculates your position faster to get you there quicker.
Know the Lane Before It’s Too Late

No more guessing which lane you need to be in to make an upcoming turn. Lane assist with junction view² guides you to the correct lane for an approaching turn or exit, making unfamiliar intersections and exits easy to navigate. It realistically displays road signs and junctions on your route along with arrows that indicate the proper lane for navigation for most metro areas.
Go Beyond Navigation

Also offered on nuLink! 1695 are standard nüvi features that go beyond navigation:

nüRoute™ Technology — trafficTrends™ and myTrends™ to better predict your estimated time of arrival and improve your routes
enhanced pedestrian navigation capabilities — pairs great with optional cityXplorer™ maps to navigate big cities
ecoRoute™ — a green feature that calculates a more fuel-efficient route and tracks fuel usage
travel tools — JPEG picture viewer, world travel clock with time zones, currency converter, measurement converter and calculator
Garmin Locate™ — marks its position when removed from windshield mount
“Where Am I?” emergency locator — get your exact latitude and longitude coordinates, the nearest address and intersection, and the closest hospitals, police stations, and fuel stations
anti-theft feature Garmin Lock™
custom voices and vehicles from Garmin Garage™
microSD™ card slot
hands-free calling capability using Bluetooth® wireless technology

Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Strongwood, can we get some more info?

Quick Reply: Best Garmin navigation system.... what are you using?