General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm having hard time getting back into the Motorcycle world.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:43 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen early 90's EVO Big-Twins going for $4K-$5K and in good shape. You have to look deep and fast because they don't stay for sale long at that price!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 PM
PillPopper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A biker is a biker no matter what they ride, though I know some people don't get that. There's a thread around here somewhere that reminisces about the old days of the 60's and 70's. The old school HD riders testified that they would often let metric bikes ride along with them. You won't see that today, but why? The other day I was blown away by the price of a brand new Triumph Speedmaster: $8000. That's ridiculous, it seems like it's underpriced.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:34 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,593 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
$2500 for a Harley Davidson motorcycle? Sounds like you are living in the $.15 for a cup of coffee days pal. I think Harleys were $2500 back in the 70's.
Yep. My first H-D was a '75 Sportster FXE.
$ 3000, including taxes an plates, out the door!
That was in Deeetroit. Maybe cheaper somewhere else?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by PillPopper
A biker is a biker no matter what they ride, though I know some people don't get that. There's a thread around here somewhere that reminisces about the old days of the 60's and 70's. The old school HD riders testified that they would often let metric bikes ride along with them. You won't see that today, but why? ...
In my part of the country a group of Harleys often has Goldwings or Harley clone metrics in the mix. A group of guys hunched over on crotch rockets never have anything else with them, few folks on anything else could keep up with them, of course. I remember riding with Harley's when I had a Honda 305 in the 60's; a couple of them even swapped rides for a bit, they were curious about the Honda (much faster than expected). I don't see much difference in how riders of different brands get along (I started riding in 65); friendly banter, sure, but can't remember any hostility from another rider about whatever brand I was on. Guess I could run down to the Harley dealer on my grocery ride someday and see what happens - it's a Honda Helix scooter.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 AM
McGroin
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patience

I was outta biking for a few years myself. Last year I decided to get one again; didn't care much what it was, it just had to "fit".
First thing I got was my helmet; ran across it at a Habitat store... it was new and matched my last bike. I looked for months on CL and talked with the local bike shops (sorry no H-D dealers for me). Finally ran across an old ('96) FXdWG custom someone bought and didn't like the 4 spd., put 900 miles on it and bought a new Harley. They let it sit for 10 yrs; picked it up for 3K cash. Sure it has some rust on springs and such, but stock parts are cheap from the RUBs. The 88 S&S is barely broke in. I can work on anything on it without a pc (except for research). Best buy I've made in a while, and ya know, the paint matched the helmet I bought at habitat.
My point is don't pull the trigger on the first bike you come across, but keep your eyes peeled. Talk with the local shops, you might find a deal like mine.