General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it okay to touch someone else's bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You should have fired it up and taken it around the block to recharge the battery a bit. That would have been totally okay. Just so long you don't take it over the red line for too long.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
OkieNiteTrain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes

Originally Posted by BlazingC5
Is that analogous to touching someone else's wife that was left turned on? LOL...
Now I've done that before!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

If it was my bike I would have thanked you.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You did right, the cruizin' spirit will be with you from this point on!!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left my switch on a few months ago while stopped for a thirst quencher. I only wish someone would have turned my switch off for me. Luckily my buddy was strong enough to push my fat *** down the road to get it started.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,296 Likes on 17,615 Posts

You did somebody a favor that's a karma thing far from sitting on or dicking around with one just because . You did good , nobody I know including hard asses would have issue .

Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 PM
CAJUNMUDDER
Cruiser

I have neve had the urge to just walk up and touch all over other peoples stuff but im guessing it does happen because when i walked in to the shop the other day to see how the progress was coming on my motor work their was a sign hanging from my bike that said do not touch i asked the mech. what that was all about and he said he was tired of wiping finger prints off of my denim white paint I asked him if i could keep the sign to hang it there everytime i stopped and he told me i didnt need it that i should just knock out the first MFer that touched it and that would probly get the point across just as well

Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 PM
bikefxds
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
For those who's kneejerk reaction is to say "Never!", please read the scenario below before posting...

I rode into work today and when I arrived, I parked my bike and went into the office. I was here early and was the only bike in parked in the motorcycle parking area where I leave my bike. About two hours later, a call comes into my office stating that someone left their motorcycle's lights on where I park my bike and was it my bike? So I went out to check. Turns out, I hadn't...but at the end of the row of now 5 bikes there was a blue Honda Shadow with it's lights on.

Now, I work at a facility with over 1,000 people. I know some of the people who ride here but I don't know all of them and I didn't know who's Shadow this was. Our campus is made up of many individual buildings and this parking area could be used by at least half the employees in those buildings for parking. Also, they don't deal well with mass e-mails.

So I walked over to the bike and found the keys dangling in the ignition. I reached down and turned the bike off but left the keys there. (Where we work is REALLY safe and the odds of someone taking this bike are very slim.)

As I walked back to my office, I wondered how many people would be offended if someone did this to their bike. I know, personally, I wouldn't be uspest if another rider turned off my bike if I accidentally left the ignition, and thus the lights, on. Saves me a huge headache. I'm currious though how many people would be pissed off if someone touched their bike if they had left it in a similar status.

Obviously if there is any mechanical(leaky petcock or float bowl) or act of stupidity or brain fart(keys in ignition...lights left on, etc) OK, touch the thing and remedy the situation. If you're talkin' about lookin' at accessories with a friend and pointing stuff out, just point...DON'T TOUCH! It's as simple as that!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:16 PM
jb13
Cruiser

left the bike ignition turned ON
keys hanging from the ignition
rides a Shadow
hmmmm... what an idiot

Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jb13
left the bike ignition turned ON
keys hanging from the ignition
rides a Shadow
hmmmm... what an idiot
LOL...

More likely than not he's a rocket scientist.

Quick Reply: When is it okay to touch someone else's bike?