General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open heart surgery

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Did the swap your cams when the put the new valve in?

It really varies by individuals, it could be 3 weeks or it could be a year. It really depends on how fast your pain subsides and you regain your strength and energy. The road isn't going anywhere, we will still be here when you're ready to ride again.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:54 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,505 Likes on 2,484 Posts

they will let me know when I can ride again

I think YOU will let you know when you can ride again!

I had stents put in Sept '03. I rode the next day;against Dr. orders, of course. They don't know everything.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for all your reply's. You guys are the greatest and it is so neat to be able to talk to other enthusiasts while I am regaining my strength. Hey purpleduce; No cam but I think they may have put in adjustable pushrods. LOL. I start cardiac rehab next monday, and see my surgeon in three weeks, and my wife of 53 years is taking very good care of me. Thanks again to all you guys, I will be spending alot of time here for the near future.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I didn't have anything done to my heart, but I had cancer and a tumor between my heart and lungs. They opened me up like open heart and moved everything around and cut out the cancer. I'm sure you are feeling the pain in your chest and back from having the ribs spread like I did. I rode after 6 weeks, but be very careful not to let the bike get off balance when stopped as your upper body will hurt if you try and save it from falling over. I started out with short rides and worked my way up. Good Luck.
Jeff

Old 04-10-2012, 07:36 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Your body will tell you, I was 6 months before I felt strong enough to get out on the bike. If you rush it, you will be a lot longer. Take your time, let your body heal.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Blackysporty
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well praise the Lord you are ok and wanting to ride.

I had a massive heart attack 3 years ago, didn't have to have open heart, but had two stents put in. I was 99% blocked in my main artery and blacked out here at home. Thank God my wife was here or I wouldn't be here today.

Good luck to you brother!

PS I was only 35 when I had mine.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Povertynob
Intermediate

2 weeks after the stents were installed. That was the first time. Coupla years later had a triple and was back on the bike in less than a month. Biggest worry (for the Doc. anyway) was if I went down I'd reopen the chest. BS I figured.
Anyway, you'll know real quick when you've overdone it and only you can tell when your ready to get back in the saddle.
It will get better every day my friend and work like hell in rehab, it's well worth it.
Anything you want to talk about the experence please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Heart valve surgery is no walk in the park and recovery takes a little longer than a bypass or stints. Glad to see your up and looking forward to enjoying life. Hang in there and work hard, the time will come. Bless you both and ride safe.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Well I had my valve installed in 1999 and was off of the bike for two months. Now in the summer when ever I go for a checkup the Cardio Dr always says,, You know your on blood thinners so if you go down, YOUR GOING TO BLEED LOTS!! Well I know that and well thats why I keep my guard up! Might take a while to get over the ticking sound and BTW if your a PD like i used to be, when you go to EOD training,, some times the instructors will not like you there since your ticker makes more noise than the bomb your supposed to find!!!!!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:04 AM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts

Had a quad bypass in 07. It was done in the fall so it was too cold to ride anyway. I highly recomend you lean on your doctor to extend cardio rehab as long as possible. Try and stay off the bike as much as possible untill rehab is over. Because of our bad winters I stayed off till it warmed up in the spring. MY absolute best advice to you is NEVER stop walking. I personally know a guy who would not accept his Drs prediction of a year or two so he walked 4 miles a day and he lived up into early 80s. Your first year can be rough but you get to a point where you hardly think about it.

Quick Reply: open heart surgery