General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watched A Friend Go Down..

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did the dumb *** in front grab the brake so hard is what I wana know....?

Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 944 Posts

I just figured I'd post my experience..didn't expect a lot of the condescending replies..for those of you that sent well wishes Thank you. Everyone is fine and the bike can be repaired or replaced. The person that asked what my 3 years riding means in miles ..only about 20k. I came to riding later in life and I can't use my bike for work I hope that meets with your approval. I'd really like to see all of you who made comments about our riding experience or the way to group ride what you are really like...you can all talk a good game on an internet forum...I guess none of you have ever made a mistake or have gotten in an accident.

And Fxdwg rugby...that is exactly the reason...he's a dumb ***

Sorry if I stepped out of line but reading some of these comments pissed me off a little bit and I had to reply.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Group riding

This could have ended much worse that it did, and for that, you can be thankful. My question is how exactly did you lay your bike down, I thought you avoided the other bikes. Did you mean after you stopped, you just laid it down to attend to the others????? or/??????

Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Actually, Scudda, thanks for posting this. Haven't done much riding in groups and I'm attending a big one next weekend. It's a good reminder for me to keep an eye on my distance. I ran up on a group of slower riders yesterday and I was on the tail end of 5 bikes. In the twist and turns I kept creeping up on the rider in front of me. I'll have to watch that next week.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope you and your friends are ok. It does sound like an accident that never should have happened. Some of the comments are a bit harsh, but there is also some good constructive criticism that you should think about that might help you avoid future accidents.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 AM
dothedoo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're going to get some grief anytime you're riding in a pack and someone stopping quick in front of you causes you to crash. Especially if you imply that it was the fault of the person who, for whatever reason, stopped quick.

Obviously we weren't there and glad everyone is ok.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,518 Likes on 6,271 Posts

This is why I don't do group rides. I will ride with 1 or 2 friends who are more experienced than me. We ride staggered, minimum 2 seconds.

Instead of getting all defensive, you should learn from older riders, giving you good advice. I prefer teachers that tell me what will keep me alive, not what makes me feel good.

Glad you are OK.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 944 Posts

I stopped my bike in median after I passed by friends bike....in my hurry to get off the bike and find my friend I didn't get the kickstand down all the way and the bike started going over and I couldn't stop it. No real damage to may bike. Yes it never should have happened. I agree about good advice and all advice is well taken but how I read some of the post they were more like statements of what we did wrong not advice...maybe I'm just cranky today. we ride in groups a lot and it's always good spacing and always in the correct formation...all in all it could have been a lot worse.

Guess it couldn't have looked too bad because the cop that was across the street in a parking lot never came over

Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Saphira
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikenut1957
When I ride with others, I use the 5 second rule.
The suggested rule is 12 seconds. It takes you a couple of seconds to see what is going on, a couple more seconds to react and depending on speed several seconds to slow down enough to safely avoid the problem. Staggering + 12 second rule can keep one safe.

That being said, I am very happy your friend is okay.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:53 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,949 Likes on 8,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
Guess it couldn't have looked too bad because the cop that was across the street in a parking lot never came over
Was there a donut shop there? **** happends, don't ride with dumbasses!! Because, when you ride with dumbasses, you end up in a roadside ditch!!

Quick Reply: Watched A Friend Go Down..