General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant enjoy riding! (buffeting how to stop it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

different helmets also will react differently behind certain shields.
without switching helmets, I'd go for a lower windshield

Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,774 Likes on 4,678 Posts

how old are you? what kind of shape are you in? do you exercise? do you do any neck exercises?. I ask this because if your neck muscles are straining to hold the wieght of the helmet and the pressure of the wind , it might be part of the reason your head is bobbing around. riding, in my opinion requires some physical stamina, I know a lot of people get on a bike and then find out they have issues related to this problem. I am not trying to insult, please don't take it that way. you may be in good shape, and its just the bike pushing extra wind onto your upper body, but it is something to consider

Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
how old are you? what kind of shape are you in? do you exercise? do you do any neck exercises?. I ask this because if your neck muscles are straining to hold the wieght of the helmet and the pressure of the wind , it might be part of the reason your head is bobbing around. riding, in my opinion requires some physical stamina, I know a lot of people get on a bike and then find out they have issues related to this problem. I am not trying to insult, please don't take it that way. you may be in good shape, and its just the bike pushing extra wind onto your upper body, but it is something to consider

I get what you are saying but I dont think his whole head is bobbling around. Its just vibrating the helmet or glasses if you wear them.

I get the same thing on my EG. Its right at the top of my head. The only way to stop it on that bike is to look thru the windshield......If I put my feet out on the hwy pegs it moves the buffet down a little

Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM
michaelm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
If the wind is shaking the helmet, sounds like your helmet is too big.
A new helmet should feel almost too small.
This guy's got it right.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by michaelm
This guy's got it right.
no he's not. I get buffeting from my lowrider's shield and my helmet is the right size. and it doesn't have anything to do with how strong yer neck is either

Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I wear one of those daytona non DOT helmets. No buffeting at all. But of course bufetting is part of the fun ain't it?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by cromagnon
I wear one of those daytona non DOT helmets. No buffeting at all. But of course bufetting is part of the fun ain't it?
you must have a really strong neck

Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
no he's not. I get buffeting from my lowrider's shield and my helmet is the right size. and it doesn't have anything to do with how strong yer neck is either
Quite a few people think they are wearing a properly fitted helmet when they are not.
I'm not saying all are, but to imply an improperly fitted helmet couldn't be the cause is ignoring a possible cure to his problem.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
Quite a few people think they are wearing a properly fitted helmet when they are not.
I'm not saying all are, but to imply an improperly fitted helmet couldn't be the cause is ignoring a possible cure to his problem.
wind buffeting and your helmet sliding around on yer head should be 2 different things

Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,774 Likes on 4,678 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
you must have a really strong neck
laugh if you want, I see a lot of newer riders getting these big helmets and have issues with their necks, and back partially because they are in poor physical shape. its not a matter of having a strong neck, it a matter of being in somewhat good shape, and a whole lot of people aren't. so if you think I'm barking up a wrong tree go ahead, but its stiill a real issue

Quick Reply: Cant enjoy riding! (buffeting how to stop it?