General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Driving Lights and Turn Signals Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Driving Lights and Turn Signals Review

For those unfamiliar with these,

While you're riding they look like this...

Then when you put on your turn signal...

They are advertised as Driving Lights and Turn Signals. I figured just how much of a Driving Light can they be? A ring of LEDs in a little turn signal housing...yea...right. I got them because they were something different. Haven't seen them on a bike yet so I figured I'd give them a shot. I got a pair of their rear turn signals and I am really happy with them (very bright even in direct sunlight...) so I wanted these to kind of match.

Well, I put them on and when I turned them on...WOW. I covered my headlight and they were lighting up the road at least 30' in front of me. Much more obvious than the amber turn signals from in front of the bike.

The pictures above don't do them justice. My headlight looks dim compared to these. They are very bright and the turn signal portion is just as bright as my tail lights. Definately worth every penny. I have had LED rear turn signals before and they were not very bright at all. In direct sunlight you couldn't see them. But these LEDs, both these new ones and the rear brake/turn signal lights are very visible. Can't recommend them enough.

This weekend I'll be putting on a LED engine light kit from them (the more nighttime visibility for me the better around here) and when that is on I'll be taking some pictures of the whole bike and will share pics of these on my scoot then.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 PM
paidin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice! I have been looking for some kind of driving light step that I can use with my windshield. Thanks for the review.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 801 Likes on 306 Posts

I bought the Dynamic Ringz for my SG and the red rear l.e.d.s with their run/turn/brake and am impressed as well. You are right, pics don't do justice. They are unbelievable!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by paidin
nice! I have been looking for some kind of driving light step that I can use with my windshield. Thanks for the review.
They have another type called Moon Shinez...

They just blink white but I imagine these are even brighter. I like the one's I got because I like the "Halo eye" effect they produce. I was really damn suprised at how bright these were.

H-D Wrencher, I'll try and get some good pictures but we'll see. That's the same setup I have and while at first I was a little leery about the chunk of change these things cost. After using the run/brake/turn signals for a few months and now seeing these I would highly recommend them to anyone. Definately worth the money.

Last edited by Robotech; 04-19-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:25 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard good things about Custom Dynamics products on HDF before. There have been a lot good reviews of their BAL system, so I was interested when this was posted. Definitely going to check out the C/D website with an eye towards future upgrades for my Ultra.

Another option you may want to check out are the Motolights. I've found that they really light things up at night w/o blinding oncoming drivers, and I use mine 24/7 as DRL's. They provide what's referred to as the "light triangle", which makes a motorcycle visible to motorists from a greater distance than using headllight or headlight/passing lights do. In addition they make your rate of closure more readily determined by a motorist looking at your bike as it approches. There have been studies verifying this, and I use that information when doing motorcycle crash reconstruction. Motolights cost about $385, and are of quality materials and manufacture. The brushed aluminum finish blends well wtih the finish on stock HD forks, and they look as if engineered for the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Driving Lights and Turn Signals Review-gedc0768.jpg  

Last edited by PghCycle24; 04-20-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

CD has great illumination @ decent pricing + awesome customer service/support. Installed Plasma Rods on my 09 FLHX a few weeks back & was very pleased/impressed. Only issue I had was how their instructions are written like everyone's a lighting engineer. Good thing I've wired a few stereo systems & houses in my days. If you know what you're doing - not a problem & can always call tech support.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Iceman, I agree with you there. The instructions I have for my LED light system are adequate but definately not the best out there. I work with R/C cars a lot so wiring is no big deal for me but for someone who isn't as familiar it could be intimidating. One thing they don't tell you about their LED turn signals for HDs is that when you put them in you want to seat the plug in the turn signal housing using a quarter or something similar to push them all the way in and turn them like you would regular light bulbs. By their design you really can't do this just useing your fingers.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,683 Likes on 4,646 Posts

I really don't appreciate these kinds of reviews on products!! they usually have the tendency to push me over the edge when I'm pondering getting them. which in turn cost me more money!!!! wheres that guy who said being on this forum is costing him a fortune? ya, just ordered, you pushed me over the edge!! they look good , and I'll be doing some traveling this summer, so I figure I don't have to eat for the next few weeks, but at least I can see where I'm going, and hopefully the craizies can see me better.
thanks a lot robotech!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed the turn signals last night. The top of the plugs is slotted to accommodate a flat-head screwdriver. Using a screwdriver you can push-in the plug then turn it clockwise to lock it in.
Also an FYI that I found out when installing...HD bullet signal trim rings will not fit with their lenses. If you have the trim rings on now, you won't be able to put them back on if you use the CD lenses.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 PM
steveusaf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this setup as well. Fast shipping, easy install. Don't forget to buy the clear or smoked lens covers too. I went with clear. Haven't ridden at night with them yet, but during the day they are noticeable and give that triangle of light that gets cager's attention (hopefully) and helps them judge closing speed. Compared to buying and wiring in a set of driving lights, this was too easy and a great bargain. Since I have CANBUS, it was plug and play. Highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Driving Lights and Turn Signals Review