General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain plug o-ring popped off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Over tightening a drain plug will not damage the o-ring. The o-ring fits in a groove that is dimensioned such that the o-ring will compress to the proper fit regardless of the torque applied to the drain plug (assuming the plug is tightened enough to be fully seated).

Drain plug o-rings should last almost forever. I'd be looking for a burr or some other anomaly with the o-ring groove or the mating sealing surface if I found a cut, nick or tear in any o-ring.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,787 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Over tightening a drain plug will not damage the o-ring. The o-ring fits in a groove that is dimensioned such that the o-ring will compress to the proper fit regardless of the torque applied to the drain plug (assuming the plug is tightened enough to be fully seated).

Drain plug o-rings should last almost forever. I'd be looking for a burr or some other anomaly with the o-ring groove or the mating sealing surface if I found a cut, nick or tear in any o-ring.
Changed mine several times without replacing o-rings. The ring you "found" may have fit around the plug but was too thick in cross-section, so it didn't fit into the c'bore, flared out and split. H-D is like most OEMs, they get those things custom made to their own specs and maybe sometime you might find one to work, short term.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
Put oil on oring when tightening drain plug it wont tear or flare out
Right, even the correct O ring will pinch out if left dry. It definitely helps to put some clean engine oil on the O ring. Install the plug by hand and gently turn the plug in until you feel it seat...then rotate the plug back and forth slightly to make sure the O ring is seated and not pinching out. Torque to spec and double check the drain plug with an inspection mirror all the way around to make sure the O ring isn't hanging out anywhere. Pinching the O ring is real easy to do. At my 1,000 mile service the dealer left my engine oil drain plug loose with the O ring pinched out and tightened the transmission drain plug and cut the O ring with a piece of it hanging out. Yea both were leaking and the loose engine oil drain plug could have killed me or at least have done some expensive damage. I'm lucky I checked their work...they don't.

I don't know about the later models but my 2000 Dyna's drain plug does not have a very deep O ring retention groove, making for an easy escape for the O ring if you're not careful or paying attention. Pay attention to the details.

Tech23

Old 06-17-2012, 09:04 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about thread sealant? Anybody use that? I know you don't want to use Loctite, but something like Plumbers Putty? Would Plumbers Putty stand the heat or breakdown and create an even bigger mess?

I've got a leak that I'm chasing right now. I think it's coming from the hex plug that sits next to the oil drain plug, it's the one that the Service Manual says "Do Not Remove." I looks like a pipe fitting plug. Anyone ever take that one out?

Mike

Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Harley will give me o rings

I find THAT hard to believe.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:34 AM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,426 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey

Me too. They used to give them to me for $1 apeice I think it was.

If you have a industrial supply company, or maybe even Motor Parts & Beasring store around, the proper size O ring is a #111. Last batch I bought I think I paid $.17 for them. I prefer Teflon tape on my plugs. 3 wraps in the direction of the threads.

Last edited by xwhyz1959; 06-17-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:37 AM
slowenwobbly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=machinistmate;9949733] H-D is like most OEMs, they get those things custom made to their own specs.../quote]

Uh... no. A bike, or anything for that matter, would costs thousands more if every o'ring, washer, bolt etc. was custom made.

Almost every piece of hardware on the bike is standard sizing.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

The dealers sell an oil change gasket kit. For the Touring bikes anyway. I keep a spare on hand at all times for just such an occassion. +1 on doing the swap quickly and keeping a clean container under the bike so that you can just pour what does come out, right back in.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 AM
RoadLord
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For years I have used plumber PVC putty compound... no leaks... EVER! :-)

Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey

They gave me o rings for free. This was just after I purchased an oil filter and four quarts of oil, so the term give is relative. The gave me three, which is the number of motorcycles I have bought from them. I guess this makes us even.

Quick Reply: Drain plug o-ring popped off!