Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   First time on a highway; Stages of learning (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/799494-first-time-on-a-highway-stages-of-learning.html)

TravelingBiker 08-20-2012 01:17 PM

Yeah I guess sometimes it doesn't occur to me how it is to ride with a windshield because I don't have one...

I was in a motorcycle shop once standing in line behind a guy who I couldn't help but over hear asking the guy who owned the place if he could modify or fabricate a set of handle bars to operate more like a steering wheel. The owner asked him why in the hell he would want to do that?

The guy said he has this really awesome three wheeled motorcycle that has really comfortable auto seats on it, with large comfortable floor boards. He said he equipped it with a large windshield that blocked all the wind going down the road. He said he loved riding this thing, but it was just missing one improvement and if he could modify a set of bars the thing would be perfect.

I asked the guy why he doesn't just drive a car. The owner cracked up.

I REALLY enjoy riding my motorcycle... and prefer to do it without the windshield and the pillow cushioned-after market seat... lol.

If I were younger and able to take more punishment while riding, I'd probably ride a hard tail....

Lilman 08-20-2012 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TravelingBiker (Post 10225300)
In severe wind conditions I have found it's nice to ride right behind big trucks. They can't stop quickly either (so I have little concern of rear ending them because of a sudden stop) and riding in their draft shields me from much of the wind.

Evidently you have never seen what happens when a 18 wheeler trailer tire blows or a cap comes off at 70 MPH. I've seen tire parts go thru car windshields, grills and radiators. Imagine what they will do to you on a bike!

I stay the hell out from around trucks, either WAY behind them or in front of them. NEVER right behind or to the side.

PosterPerfectPhoto 08-20-2012 01:44 PM

A few tips I've found on Interstate riding. First and foremost, running at a substantially slower speed than the rest of traffic is dangerous. This is true whether your in a truck, car, or motorcycle. It causes a lot of movement around you when people switch lanes to get around you which increases the potential for driver error. Next, while I have seen it suggested above to get in the left side of the left lane I do not believe this is good advise. If you move with or faster than traffic then get in the "RIGHT" side of the left lane. Cagers will tend to give you extra room and will be less likely to cut back in on you early. The same is true for the right lane. I.E. If your moving a little slower then get in the left side of the right lane. This really took some practice as my instinct was to stay as far away from the cagers as possible however I found that once I got use to doing this I am more comfortable because the cagers pay more respect to my space. Next one is to position yourself where the drivers can see you in their rear view mirrors. Watch down the road and give yourself plenty of stopping and manuevering distance between you and the car in front of you. I've seen a number of things come flying out of vehicles and doing this gives time to avoid them. I also always try to travel at a slightly faster or slower speed than traffic. It decreases the chances that a cager will forget you are in the lane.

With the above things in mind I actually feel safer running down the Interstate than I do running around town or even on the highway.

Fazman 08-20-2012 02:48 PM

Great advice PosterPerfectPhoto!

WetSider 08-20-2012 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by RK4ME (Post 10225778)
I hate this trend of people buying Harleys for their first bike....

I believe the so-called "trend" of which you speak stopped being a trend about 20 yars ago, and is a big reason H-D didn't go T-U a long time ago. It's been beneficial to any of us who like the depth and breadth of MoCo and aftermarket parts available to us these days, to say nothing of the technical and reliability improvements it has supported.

+2 on earplugs. Been wearing them since day one, and know it has helped me keep CHL (cumulative hearing loss) minimized. I prefer going w/o a windshield, but they do help reduce long-distance wind-induced fatigue.

OP: Suggest you keep off the interstates until you feel comfortable with prevailing rates of travel - for your safety and those around you. Keep keeping right, until you're ready. There's plenty of fun to be had on the back roads in the interim. Ride safe!