General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on a highway; Stages of learning

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:36 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First time on a highway; Stages of learning

About 3 months ago, having NEVER rode a bike before, I completed my MSF safety course. Since then, I've put on 375 miles on my new 2012 Super Glide. Much of the riding has been done very close to my house, around neighborhood streets and progressing to rural back roads for longer faster rides.

Just yesterday, I got on the freeway here in Tucson and rode 50 miles in Saturday mid morning traffic. During the first few miles I thought I made a mistake. The speed limit was 75 however I only maintained 60 with the cars and SEMI TRUCKS screaming past me. For the first time, it was very intense and required my full attention. I did not quit and continued my 50 mile ride to the local Harley Dealership to have some fun.

btw, my bike has no wind shield.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 08-19-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:39 PM
NightHunter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll get used to it, make a couple of runs up to Phoenix each Month and you'll soon like Highway riding, at least I do-

Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 PM
RoadKing2438
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember my first time on the interstate. Maybe about a month and a half after I got my bike. Luckily I was with a buddy of mine that had been riding for a long time. It gave me a little comfort with him behind me. Never got out of the right hand lane but I stayed at the speed limit of 70. I know what you were feeling for sure as I am sure most have. Keep it up and with experience you get more comfortable. Ride safe!!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Turk05
Advanced

Congratulations for surviving that ride. Around here, I really think I would be run over if I was doing 15 mph slower than the other traffic. My first interstate ride was at or above the speed limit on my way to work, believe it or not. I appreciate your caution, but I prefer to keep pace with the surrounding traffic.... It's safer.

Good Luck with your new bike!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turk05
Congratulations for surviving that ride. Around here, I really think I would be run over if I was doing 15 mph slower than the other traffic. My first interstate ride was at or above the speed limit on my way to work, believe it or not. I appreciate your caution, but I prefer to keep pace with the surrounding traffic.... It's safer.

Good Luck with your new bike!
Keeping with the pace of the traffic is the way you have to ride here in Illinois or you will get run over. One thing I always try to avoid being behind trucks and keeping an eye out for debri in the road. I was riding on the interstate on Friday and there was pieces of a semis tire all over the place.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

After you get used to the speed, you might find that you feel relatively safe on the highway ... you are all going in the same direction at roughly the same speed, you can see cages coming from a mile away, no surprises of cars entering the roadway, no intersections ... there are a lot of good things about it.

My advice: relax; when you can, put yourself in a spot where there's a safety buffer of empty space around you, NEVER just cruise along in someone's blind spot and ALWAYS be prepared for that the car in front of you to change lanes out of the blue.

You'll be fine.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Jennz
Cruiser

good for you for getting out there! I only have about 550 miles on my bike...have yet to venture out on the highway. as of now, I prefer to not go over 60. Im needing to go to the dealer soon so they can put the locks on my bags, so looking for a way without highway travel. Im not going to push it till I feel comfortable.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Fire1Tex
Advanced

Originally Posted by voudoujoe

My advice: relax; when you can, put yourself in a spot where there's a safety buffer of empty space around you, NEVER just cruise along in someone's blind spot and ALWAYS be prepared for that the car in front of you to change lanes out of the blue.

I ride the Interstate daily both in the dark in the a.m. and daylight in the p.m. I constantly and stratigically place myself away from cagers and never, ever, ever hang out in a blind spot. Use the agility and acceleration of your bike to consistantly find the sweet spot. Additionally I guard my lane and my spot on the Interstate. I make sure that cagers are aware that I'm there and the this is my goddamn lane, stay out of it. Above all, enjoy the ride, it's why you bought the bike, right?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Sounds like u r doing REALLY WELL! Congratulations!!!

I too was scared. In fact only rode 1 exit and got off and then rode more and more. Now I live on the highway.

Several suggetions:
1) Go at ur own pace within the speed limit.
2) Try to stay in far left lane. Safest. And then the left tire track of the far left lane.
3) Regularly look around you and ALWAYS play the "What if?" game.

Sounds like ur 1st time out u did really well. Keep it up and never let ur guard down.

BuzzCap7

Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 PM
TravelingBiker
Tourer
Default Riding behind big trucks

Originally Posted by dv102
One thing I always try to avoid being behind trucks
In severe wind conditions I have found it's nice to ride right behind big trucks. They can't stop quickly either (so I have little concern of rear ending them because of a sudden stop) and riding in their draft shields me from much of the wind.

Aside from not being able to see the road conditions ahead, why do you avoid them?

I prefer vans or trucks with large windows so I can still see the road/traffic ahead, and because I hate riding at 55 mpg (the speeds trucks with trailers must drive in California), but if the wind is really bad those big trucks come in really handy on a long ride.

Quick Reply: First time on a highway; Stages of learning