General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pitbull -VS- J&S Motorcycle Lift.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,435 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Dispatch
I was in touch with Pitbull.
They told me the 6 ton has foot pedal and the 12 ton you must have an air compressor.
Yet J & S said when theres is fully collapsed it stores better because it takes up less space due to the height difference.
Pitbull is large & heavy. So are my bikes.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Yet J & S said when theres is fully collapsed it stores better because it takes up less space due to the height difference.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a J&S while a buddy has the PitBull. Won't go wrong with either one.
But I wouldn't use the stores better because it takes up less space due to the height difference as neither one stores all to well. Both are very heavy and fairly bulky.

Edit to add - the OP might be interested in this thread & the video in the first post as he seems to be doing a lot of homework.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...big-bikes.html

Last edited by Baeseman1; 09-07-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM
wilsoda
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nirvana
I'm considering buying a J&S jack. Is the T-handle really needed to move around the jack with a bike loaded or is it stable enough to move the unit by simply pushing the bike?
I have the J&S, works great with the Fat Bob and my wife's 883. Pushing on the bike has worked fine to move it around the garage while working on it, but if you are using the jack to move bikes frequently I could see where it would be handy.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 PM
03psd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in touch with Pitbull.
They told me the 6 ton has the manual foot pedal but to use the 12 ton you must have an air compressor.
Mine is the 12 ton with the air lift. It also had the manual pedal pump. If I just want to move the bike I give it a few pump to just get it off the ground. Any higher and I connect the air line and in 10 seconds it's 2 feet in the air. Best of both world IMHO

Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bad back so the Pitbull was much better for me with the added height AND THE AIR LIFT. Real pleasure to just hook up the compressor and press a button. I heard the othe brand is excellent also. Pitbull just fit my needs better. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go J&S and thank us later. I own one and look at changing fluids and then tell me which one you want. Pitbull is a good jack but J&S is just better.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 AM
cpc0812
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the J and S and am very happy with it. You cant go wrong with either one. Price was the deciding factor for me.
Name:  005-2.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  332.5 KB

Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsoda
I have the J&S, works great with the Fat Bob and my wife's 883. Pushing on the bike has worked fine to move it around the garage while working on it, but if you are using the jack to move bikes frequently I could see where it would be handy.
Thanks for that information. In the J&S videos, they seem to be pushing it around without the T-handle. However, in that comparison video, they were using T-handles.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 523 Likes on 271 Posts
Question Stability?

Even though the J & S video has the guy sitting on the bike while its up in the air, is it really safe to detail/clean/maintenance your bike when its up on the lift without tiedown straps attached?? Attachment 532654

Last edited by Dispatch; 04-09-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,220 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Even though the J & S video has the guy sitting on the bike while its up in the air, is it really safe to detail/clean/maintenance your bike when its up on the lift without tiedown straps attached??
i was up in wisconsin and stopped by the j&s factory to purchase one. unfortunately, they were on back order. fortunately, they supply the local hd shops with them and one of them had a couple in stock. so i got it for 10% off from the hd shop, and no shipping! that's hard to beat.

anyway, while i was there, jim was demonstrating the lift for me. he took it up full height, climbed all over the bike, spun it around, etc. pretty much like the video. only he had me grab the bike and push/pull it around as well. the bike was very stable, no rocking whatsoever. i asked him about doing tires on the lift, would that cause a large imbalance and the bike to tilt either forward or backward and he assured me that it would not. even showed me some pictures of bikes on the lifts with no front wheels or rear wheels. and no tiedowns.

i have not yet had the pleasure of doing any wheels on the lift, but i have done a couple of services, and some detailing. cleaning wheels is awesome on the lift. sit on the sears stool, and spin the wheel... can't be any easier. and i have no stability issues and haven't tied the bike down yet either.

i'm not gonna say that one is better than the other. but i will say that you couldn't go wrong if you get either one. the benefits of the j&s over the pitbull make me comfortable in my choice. but the pitbull has a couple of areas that are better than the j&s.....

Quick Reply: Pitbull -VS- J&S Motorcycle Lift.