General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mt Baker HD, Bellingham, WA Closing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Mt Baker HD, Bellingham, WA Closing

This comes as a surprise, just recently there was talk of a new, larger facility and now its just closing its doors. Seems very odd, surely there is enough traffic in this city to support a dealership - especially with such close proximity to Canada. Here is the press release:
__________________________________________________ _____________

Mt. Baker Harley-Davidson closing Bellingham store

Mt. Baker Harley-Davidson in Bellingham will be closing this fall, owner Greg Head announced today.

Head, owner of Mt. Baker Harley-Davidson at 1421 N. State St., said, “It was a difficult decision to close. We’ve been successful since I took over in early 2010 due to fantastic employees and tremendously loyal Harley-Davidson riders.” Head adds, “With our lease ending soon, we first considered a new and larger location. However, in working with Harley-Davidson, a market analysis revealed limited opportunities for further growth.”

“The decision to close has been very personal for us since many of the employees and customers are considered close friends. It’s been a pleasure serving our customers and we thank them,” said Head.

Mt. Baker Harley-Davidson has 10 employees and some will be offered opportunities at other Harley-Davidson dealerships. All of the employees will receive assistance from the WorkSource Whatcom Career Center in seeking jobs and learning about available benefits and resources.

As for himself, Head said, “I feel honored to have been a Harley-Davidson dealer and our family looks forward to exploring other ways we can help more riders experience Harley-Davidson, the culture and the lifestyle it provides.”

Since Head became owner of Mt. Baker Harley-Davidson, the store has supported numerous nonprofit organizations locally, including Toys for Tots, Lighthouse Mission and Agape House, WomenCare Shelter, Boys and Girls Club, Whatcom Humane Society, Whatcom County Hospice Foundation, and the Ryan Stiles Celebrity Golf Classic, a fundraiser for the Burned Children Recovery Foundation.

Mt. Baker Harley-Davidson will cease being a Harley-Davidson Dealership on Oct. 31.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:38 PM
03psd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm... successful since 2010 but the lease is up. limited opportunity for growth according to MOCO.
Sounds like the MOCO wasnt interested in keeping them as a dealer.

In for the rest of the story.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 PM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does that leave Skagit HD as the dealership nearest to the border?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes, next closest dealer - it also leaves more room for Hagen's of Blaine to receive your online orders.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it really is more a matter of the amount of money that has been poured into the Sound Harley Davidson in Marysville. Not many people will run up past Marysville if they are coming from the south end for a day ride or such. In the end it is always a matter of what these towns can support.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have thought Mount Baker would get a lot of business from Canadians.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:33 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rdunnill
I would have thought Mount Baker would get a lot of business from Canadians.
that be part of the problem, employees said that HD didn't want them moving ANY closer to Canada in light of the Trev Deeley issues. They are saying the dealership is profitable but I guess that isn't good enough.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 734 Posts

Man, they were great to deal with. At least 30% less than Trev's on parts and stuff, plus they loaded me up with freebie's when I went there for the first time. They went out of their way to let me know how much they appreciated my business. Sorry to see them go.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

That blows- I guess people in the North Sound will have to do with Skagit or Sound.

Both are good dealerships- I'm sure there's good independents that may fill the Northern void for service.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:02 PM
lsdfab
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Long...

Mt. Baker Harley we a poor excuse for a Harley dealership. The slow economy had nothing to do with their going out of busniess. Other HD dealerships have weathered the slow economy well. Greg Head had a very rude approach to customer service, was horrible to deal with when buying a bike, or having work done. Glad to see him go. I hope Bellingham will get an honest person to open a new dealership.

Quick Reply: Mt Baker HD, Bellingham, WA Closing