General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had very good luck on bikes but am disappointed to hear of that type of treatment. Posting your expercience on the forum is not good PR for Harley (as well it shouldn't.) Good luck and I hope they do the right thing.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 PM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

OP, I know your frustration first hand.
When I was 21, many years ago, I bought a brand new 1978 Pontiac Trans-Am. That car had more things wrong with it than anyone could imagine. They could not, would not, fix something before something else broke.
Power windows that wouldn't go up and down, mismatched paint, I mean shades off, the harmonic balancer fell off on a Memorial Day weekend. On and on. I mean a total pile of stinking crap.
No lemon law back then and it probably would not have qualified anyway.
I hated Pontiacs so bad it was years before I bought another domestic branded car.

Motorcycles and cars are mechanical beasts. When put together right they are wonderful. When put together poorly they are a nightmare. If anyone thinks HD or another manufacturer doesn't let a bad one slip through from time to time is not being realistic.

Most people cut their losses and just bail out and take the financial hit themselves. People that hang in there like the OP do us all a favor and make HD, or whoever responsible own up to the mistake, and gets that machine out of circulation so another rider doesn't get stuck with it.

The OP sounds sincere to me, I have been there. The jury is still out on my road glide. On day 4 of ownership and around 300 miles, my voltage regulator died. HD knew these bad regulators were out there and did not ship them to dealers to replace on bikes on the showroom. I am sure they thought they would let the customers find the bad ones. Not a good start to my new HD experience and I have to say I thought it was 1978 all over again.
So far so good for me since then, and I have to mention that the dealer apologized and took me right in to get me back going quickly.

OP, enjoy the new ride and put the bad experience behind you.
As mentioned, this forum is a wealth of information and ideas.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

I really like this forum, tons of information and a lot of good people, with good advice. I've had my problems, and after 35 years of buying Harley's I've always been able to have them taken care of. What I don't understand is why there are some people on here that think that the people with problems are always full of it, I don't understand this loyality thing, do you work for the MOCO ? Does it matter if the poster is straight or not ? If he's not, what does it matter to me, and if he or she is, I've just got some useful information. With some people on here, one bad word about HD, and you would think someone just insulted them personally. Please explain this to me.
Jonnierock

Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 648 Likes on 316 Posts

search on my username in here in the '06/'07/'08 time frame and read about, not just mine, but several others experiences with the MoCo over the '07 glide transmissions. HD should have hung their head in shame over how they treated people over those first 6-speed bikes - neither the dealer network nor the company stood by their product - we were simply f^cked. I tried writing them - HD mocked me - I still have that letter somewhere. I was so burned and pissed I swore never to own another new HD, but here I am now with another one... frickin HD, can't live with the things and you cant live without 'em...

Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

OP, thanks for making your experience public and thanks for your last post. I loved your response to the people questioning your sincerity and integrity. Who they think they are to request formal proof of your problem? And where is the rule stating that you can't talk about a problem and voice your displeasure unless you have a gazillion posts?

I'll also never understand why some people get their panties in a wad when someone has serious and recurring problems with a HD bike. A Harley is a friggin bunch of parts assembled by friggin' humans. Duh! Parts can be defective and people make mistakes. Doesn't make all HD bikes bad, but for sure, some of them are and some are even badder than others. HD, like other makes is not immune from this kind of situation. That's why Lemon Laws exist.

OP, glad to know you ordeal is now over. Enjoy your new bike and ride safe.