General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 AM
JockWhisky
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty issues

I'm going to pick up a 2012 or 2013 EG this spring. I plan on keeping it a long time as a touring bike. I already have a 12 year old softie that runs great so I don't need a hot rod.

I have a couple of choices for mild upgrades.

1) Go with the factory "stage 1" with performance pipes, hi-flow air cleaner and an ECM reflash. I'm not too excited about this option because as far as I know it still leaves the engine running lean and hot. Not so good for the long term.

2) The second choice is an upgrade at a local performance shop. Same as above but a cam upgrade and a dyno tune as well. They have a good reputation and know what they are doing. This should take care of the lean and hot issue and give me a bit more power. I'd have it done next winter. They warranty their work for one year. Cost is a bit more but I'm not worried about that at this point.

Option 1 leaves me with the 2 year factory warranty and the choice of an ESP but a bike that runs lean.

Option 2 leaves me with year 1 as factory warranty and year 2 as perf shop warranty, still 2 years of warranty in total. I assume any ESP would be void due to the modifications so there's no sense going there.

So after 2 years I have no warranty. Now we're into risk management.

My question for those that have had warranty work done on this engine is what kind of work was required? What issues could occur after the 2 years is up that I could find myself on the hook for.

JW

Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,952 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I know it is not a direct answer to your question...but why not have a dealer do an HD tuner, with or without cams. That way you keep you 2 year factory warranty and have the option of getting the ESP?

Twin Cams are hit and miss on whether the warranty is worth it...with the longer you have it and the more miles you ride increasing the likelihood of needing work done.

In the last 5 years I have had 1 TC that got an entire new engine (reman) for $50 with the ESP warranty. (pressed crank twisted)
On that same bike I had at least another 3k worth of work done under warranty. Compensator, inner primary, trans mainshaft, and a few other things I am not remembering. I put over 75K on that bike.

My current TC that has had the cylinders, pistons, heads and valves replaced under warranty, 2 inner primaries, clutch, clutch cable, radio, and a few other things done. I have not added it up, but there has been at least 3500.00 worth of work done on this 2011 still under factory warranty. ESP starts this coming March. It is at 30K miles right now.

I ride a lot of miles, and tend to ride hard. I am meticulous with the maintenance, but I would not own a TC without a warranty.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 AM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I know it is not a direct answer to your question...but why not have a dealer do an HD tuner, with or without cams. That way you keep you 2 year factory warranty and have the option of getting the ESP?

Twin Cams are hit and miss on whether the warranty is worth it...with the longer you have it and the more miles you ride increasing the likelihood of needing work done.

In the last 5 years I have had 1 TC that got an entire new engine (reman) for $50 with the ESP warranty. (pressed crank twisted)
On that same bike I had at least another 3k worth of work done under warranty. Compensator, inner primary, trans mainshaft, and a few other things I am not remembering. I put over 75K on that bike.

My current TC that has had the cylinders, pistons, heads and valves replaced under warranty, 2 inner primaries, clutch, clutch cable, radio, and a few other things done. I have not added it up, but there has been at least 3500.00 worth of work done on this 2011 still under factory warranty. ESP starts this coming March. It is at 30K miles right now.

I ride a lot of miles, and tend to ride hard. I am meticulous with the maintenance, but I would not own a TC without a warranty.

Everyone has opinions on the ESP mine is if you put on a lot of miles it's worth the gamble of having. To me if i ride trouble free for 5 years it was worth the price to ensure that.