General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is a Chopper

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:59 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what is a Chopper

It's always been my opinion that a chopper is a stock bike that's been stretched, rakedand modified.

Chopper is different from a custom; a custom is a bike that never rolled off a factory assembly line.

Simply removing fenders or cutting fenders and other miscellanious pieces of a bike always produced a bob if no structural pieces were modified.

That's what I've always gone off of.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:03 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD7585

Achopper is a bike that handles like crap. A bike that takes all of your focus while riding it.Corners like a toilet and does panic stops like a Winnebago motor home. The payoff for all of this is people look at you and say WOW! a Chopper.........or ,What a Idiot!
Kinda harsh there, eh? Why lump every chop with poorly designed ones, or a bike designed to do one particular thing well, but at the expense of doing other things as well?

Calling someone an idiot sometimes says more about the name-caller than their object.

My first bike was a chopped Sporty. Went in a straight line really well, but with a 15 over front end it turned like an 18 wheeler. It was a great ride on long trips, though. Eventually it morphed into a rigid chop with a shorter front end, 10 over girder (about equivalent to an 8 over tube job). It had correct front end geometry, handled as well as a rigid could be expected to, and could smoke any stocker even before the motor grew to 77 inches. It did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Did I want people to look at it? Sure, 'cause it was a testament to my skills, as well as a statement of who I was. Did everyone like it? Shoot no, anymore than anything else in the world. Mostly it didn't matter to me 'cause I was happy with it.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked that one up this week and it has been raining here ever since it is going to be my 2007 build I do think it is a 10 or 12 over Fury girder (just not sure yet)
I pulled a muscle in my back on Wednesday and am not moving to fast so I am staying inside instead of working on it

Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Read it again more carefully...."I" called no one a idiot....These are peoples responses to a chopper, I've herd them both
ORIGINAL: pococj

Achopper is a bike that handles like crap. A bike that takes all of your focus while riding it.Corners like a toilet and does panic stops like a Winnebago motor home. The payoff for all of this is people look at you and say WOW! a Chopper.........or ,What a Idiot!

Calling someone an idiot sometimes says more about the name-caller than their object.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a couple of choppers for other people back in the late 60s and early 70s I always built a custom for myself, look at the pictures and see the difference.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3092/4ED577A857D54DEA9C87A9BC81DEE330.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3092/8811C3F853A94F3299325B245A9C688D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my humble opinion the Choppers of today are more like flull blown custom bikes..A true chopper is built out of harley Parts, frame, motor, transmission, the rest can be custom parts, but with out the drive train of the Harley it is nothing but a custom built bike from custom bought or made parts..

I know it sounds confusing consdiering my previous post, in that one I was trying to show the difference of styles and mis used the word custom for the green one, I suppose, although back then it was called a custom and not a chopper..so, but its is really whatever you want to think of them I guess, they all have a place in motorcycleing history.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

Bear both of them are nice !
I know where there is a early 70's Iron Head chop for sale I thought long and hard about that one

Old 02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
zombie
Banned

Read it again more carefully...."I" called no one a idiot....These are peoples responses to a chopper, I've herd them both
ORIGINAL: pococj

In your works, "Read it again more carefully...",Poccocj never said that "you" called anyone an idiot...he made a blanket statement. You chose to infer that he was insinuating that you called someone an idiot.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:53 PM
cwilks
Banned

This is going to get ugly

Old 02-10-2007, 05:00 PM
zombie
Banned

ORIGINAL: cwilks

This is going to get ugly
Nah, we'll move on from here and back onto the topic.

Quick Reply: what is a Chopper