Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Bikers often carry a knife..But why? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/855983-bikers-often-carry-a-knife-but-why.html)

1911RK 03-19-2013 05:31 PM

Might break down somewhere and get hungry.

Benway 03-19-2013 05:35 PM

As my old boss used to say, I stopped carrying a knife when I learned I could kill a man with my bare hands. :icon_crackup:

Bestrafen 03-19-2013 05:45 PM

I carry a Gerber multitool in my front left pocket. A Gerber MarkII that I was issued in 1985, in my left boot. I also carry a .357 snubnose revolver in my right front pocket, and a fullsize 1911A1 IWB at 4:00 position. 2 spare mags in left rear pocket. I would feel absolutely helpless without a multitool in my pocket everyday.

kwo51 03-19-2013 05:54 PM

Whats he afraid of. Not a damn thing.Gun, knife, light and spare ammo. Dressed.

Dixie Dreg 03-19-2013 05:54 PM

My Protech TR-2.1 goes wherever I go. http://www.protechknives.com/knives/index.asp

Rifle Man 03-19-2013 06:02 PM

I carry a knife everywhere I go and have since I was a kid. I use it nearly every day for something and would be lost without one. Riding a bike has absolutely nothing to do with me carrying a knife. I think you will find many, if not most, "men" carry a knife. My knee jerk reaction to a post like this(and I'm seriously not trying to be rude here) is that if you do not see the need to carry a knife, any knife, with you daily then you must be a tad different then most men I know... Hell, even the wifey carries a knife in her purse every day. It's an extremely valuable tool to have with you at all times. I favor the Kershaw Blur with the S30V steel blade. I like the sticky grip because even if you have sweaty hands it holds on very well, it's fast as hell, and the steel is very strong and will hold and edge forever.. You wanna talk about a true one handed knife, this is it!! The best thing about Kershae is their customer service. It truly is second to none. They will fix anything you break free of charge, even just send you the parts that needs replaced so you won't have any down time, and they don't even need to see the knife to do this.

This is my last two knifes. I gave my old one to my son and he is now hooked for life.

Sling Blade 14 03-19-2013 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim (Post 11052001)
I guess I'm too young, or too whimpy, to understand. I would think regular work tools would be more practical. Any practical reason to carry a knife?

I do have a switchblade that I keep handy for opening letters and packages from the cycle supply store, but I dun keep it on my scoot. : )

Do I need a knife stashed somewhere when I'm out ridin?

In the day we carried everything to fix out bikes on the road until selected tools/implements were labeled as dangerous weapons by law enforcement looking for reasons to stop and annoy us.

I used to carry a 10" crescent wrench until I was told that it was considered a weapon, my flat edge screwdriver, likewise for my full size ballpeen hammer...

Can't carry my hunting knife in a exposed sheath over 5" (No KA-BAR)....now I just carry a EMS extraction knife with a seatbelt cutter and window breaker.
http://www.budk.com/catalog/product....oductId=158089

Next thing a cellphone will be on the list of weapons...i.e. calling a lawyer, using camera, angry birds...

and be careful of giving that threatening glare!

:icon_beerchug:

str8shuutr45 03-19-2013 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim (Post 11052001)
I guess I'm too young, or too whimpy, to understand. I would think regular work tools would be more practical. Any practical reason to carry a knife?

I do have a switchblade that I keep handy for opening letters and packages from the cycle supply store, but I dun keep it on my scoot. : )

Do I need a knife stashed somewhere when I'm out ridin?

I've been carrying a pocket knife of some sort since I was old enough to be trusted not to carve my initials somewhere where they didn't belong. All my acquaintances know I have a knife on my person almost always. Not only do I carry an automatic knife (legal in NH) but I have on in all my vehicles and on my Heritage in the saddlebags- leatherman-
It could be a cultural thing- when I was a kid the switchblade was like the "nine" is today. Everyone had one or wants one. Old habits die hard. Like others posted, I'm not fully dressed without my blade.

nevada72 03-19-2013 06:05 PM

Real men carry a knife + Bikers are real men, ergo Bikers carry knives.

Same as many here - my Grandfather told me a man always has a knife (among other things). I listened and I've always had one. Did the (expensive Benchmade) switchblade thing for a while because you need to open easily with one hand. But now, with assisted opening etc, there's no reason, beyond collecting, that anyone needs an automatic. My Kershaws open every bit as fast as an automatic (and I've had many).

There are guidelines -

buy steel made in USA first, Japan second. Do not, for any reason, buy a Chinese knife. Better to carry some cheap ass box cutter if you're going to do that.

Unless you are a collector, don't over spend. You can get a damn fine Kershaw for cheap money. If you insist, buy a Spyderco or Benchmade for about double the money but the same quality. (yes, I've had all the major quality brands)

My current carry knife - razor sharp always. Holds an edge nicely

Kershaw Skyline - Made in USA of course. Think I paid $40 through BladeHQ.com

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8215/dsc01125a.jpg

To answer the question "Why?" - because how the hell else am I going to open those damn plastic sealed packages that hang on hooks (like when you buy a car phone charger etc)?

judge454 03-19-2013 06:14 PM

I started carrying the Leatherman WAVE on my belt about 4 years ago for work and whenever I am not in work cloths I always reach for it.... I use it 3-5 times a day at min. I carry a Ruger .380 concealed for protection, but always have the WAVE when I am riding. I feel like I can fix anything.