Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Bikers often carry a knife..But why? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/855983-bikers-often-carry-a-knife-but-why.html)

SoCalSoftailSlim 03-19-2013 04:01 PM

Bikers often carry a knife..But why?

I guess I'm too young, or too whimpy, to understand. I would think regular work tools would be more practical. Any practical reason to carry a knife?

I do have a switchblade that I keep handy for opening letters and packages from the cycle supply store, but I dun keep it on my scoot. : )

Do I need a knife stashed somewhere when I'm out ridin?

steveh326 03-19-2013 04:07 PM

not just bikers... anyone. When I was a kid, my father always told me to carry a pocketknife. I didn't listen until I got older. Started carrying one when I was in my early 20's. now I am not dressed unless I have a pocketknife on me, the model varies depending on what I am wearing, from my small 'dress' knife up to my bigger 'jeans' pocketknife. It has SO many uses I find myself reaching for it multiple times every day. Trust me, start carrying one daily and you'll wonder how you ever survived without one.

Uniqueusername 03-19-2013 04:14 PM

Jax from SOA wears a K-Bar everywhere he goes, so it must be cool.

On a serious note, I am not dressed either unless I have a pocket knife somewhere. It goes wherever the wallet and keys go.

SoCalSoftailSlim 03-19-2013 04:19 PM

Nah, I still dun get it. I've never found myself on the road, or stranded on the road, thinking "Damn, I wish I had a knife right now."

Screwdriver, crescent wrench? Maybe when I was on my older, less reliable bike. But that's it. Never found myself needing a knife.

I do think it would be cool to carry my switchblade and open it up and stir my drinks with it at the bar. But that's just for theatrical effect. ; )

Gruamach 03-19-2013 04:31 PM

I've had plenty times when out of the house (not just on the bike) when having a knife came in handy.

And yes, more than once I've used it as a screwdriver, including helping to fix a stuck throttle cable on a friend's bike. (though after that, I've always got a multi-tool tucked on all three of our bikes)

kajunkruzer 03-19-2013 04:40 PM

I always carried a pocket knife, even long before I started riding motorcycles. I got in the habit when I started working offshore and always needed a knife to cut a mud sack or rope. My wife gets upset when I take it out in restaurants to cut my food, lol. I don't see the need to carry a 10 inch blade though.

jwhardin 03-19-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim (Post 11052001)
I guess I'm too young, or too whimpy, to understand. I would think regular work tools would be more practical. Any practical reason to carry a knife?

I do have a switchblade that I keep handy for opening letters and packages from the cycle supply store, but I dun keep it on my scoot. : )

Do I need a knife stashed somewhere when I'm out ridin?

You can't carry work tools AND a knife? :icon_shrug: Cutting things can be handy.

And no you don't need a knife stashed somewhere when you're out riding.

It's a personal decision and you can carry what you like.

I do.

SJ58 03-19-2013 04:47 PM

Leatherman tool and a .357 Magnum.

Mars47 03-19-2013 04:49 PM

I usually like to have a multi tool with me everywhere, but if its not practical; I usually settle for a pocketknife or go without...but whenever I go without theres always something I need to cut or open that I wished I had brought one.

cayers 03-19-2013 04:54 PM

Multi tool on the bike and a Swiss Army knife in my pocket, they are both always handy.