General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

akoury ak88 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dansax
Anyone can claim that their helmet is DOT approved because the DOT only does random testing. Just because it says DOT don't mean that it will pass the test requirements. Do your homework. If you want a great looking 1/2 helmet buy a Skull Crush and put DOT stickers on it or have a stencil made and paint it on. DOT means big head look to a certain extent. I still disagree about the quality. The inside is no where as nicely fiinished as the Bell. I must say that it does look good on. Compare the thickness of the padding and I'm not sure it would pass the DOT test.
I understand now how the DOT standard works and that they work on the honor system. What this means is that all DOT helmets, whether they're half, 3/4, or full face, can potentially fail DOT's safety requirements.

As far the quality....I wasn't comparing the quality of the AK88 to your 3/4 Bell. I was comparing it to all other "half" shell helmets. I agree that the Bell 3/4 has a nicer lining than the standard half shell helmet, but a nice finish doesn't mean it would pass DOT testing.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 04-23-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 AM
harryscott
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout everyone wear the helmet they want to wear. I don't need one here in PA, but I just got my AK88 and LOVE it! So sue me, or don't worry what anyone else wears...

Old 04-24-2014, 12:41 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Is this what you're looking for?
http://akouryhelmets.com/index.html

Old 04-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

I purchased the AK helmet over a year ago. Florida is not a state that requires helmets, but it is the most comfortable lid I have ever worn. I would rebuy it. Also, I have yet to die while wearing it.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

SkullCrush is an awesome helmet but a little more expensive. They run it over with a truck and it won't crush. The DOT standard is a farce.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
So let me get this straight. The AK88 is sold with DOT painted on the back but it's not DOT approved or tested? It doesn't meet the minimum safety requirements? I was under the impression that any company selling DOT advertised helmets had to have them tested. Otherwise wouldn't there be some penalties to pay? What evidence do you have that these helmets weren't tested? All I was saying in my post was that the AK88 is just as good quality as any other DOT half helmet....including the one you wear. What test did your helmet finally fail? Did you fall down and go boom?

I won't be crying. I'm well aware of the risks I take, just as I was for the 20 years I wasn't wearing a helmet.
DOT approved means the manufacturer states it will pass DOT standards if tested. All helmets with less then 1" thick padding have failed. The AK88 is much less then 1" and there was a thread here where a member swore it passed all DOT requirements but when he contacted Akoury they wouldn't send him the DOT papers but instead sent him papers for a older, larger model.

In the past other helmets that look exactly like the AK88 have failed & were recalled. A lot of members here were quite upset that the small DOT helmet they purchased was no longer DOT. There was a lot of crying & returns. See the Leather Up Outlaw Ultra Slims & Lows and the old Skull Crush helmets. There have been many discussions here over the years & the results are always the same. If it looks to good to be true, it isn't.

If you need to see DOT results on testing, do a google search. It's there for all to see & you won't see a AK88 test yet.

here you go 2008 test results http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWw&cad=rja

Click on these for other test http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/

Looks like the last DOT test was 2008 http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/c...4-25-2013.html

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/moto...e-22-05-snell/

"NHTSA does not test helmets against the DOT standards before they can claim DOT certification; rather, each helmet manufacturer marketing their helmets for road use in the U.S. must test and self-certify the models they want to sell and then permanently affix the “DOT” emblem signifying compliance with FMVSS 218.
NHTSA enforces the standard by acquiring random samples of the product and sending them to an independent testing lab to verify compliance. Penalties to manufacturers for marketing non-compliant products can be steep—up to $5,000 per helmet."

Another thing is that the AK88 is distributed and marketed in Canada. Loophole?

" rather, each helmet manufacturer marketing their helmets for road use in the U.S. must test and self-certify the models they want to sell"

Last edited by golfblues; 04-25-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:03 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

For those that have this helmet, my head measures 22 1/8" and slots between the small and medium sizes. Which would be the best to pick up? I'm afraid of it either being too tight or way too loose.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 AM
harryscott
Novice

My head measures 24-3/8, the upper end of the XL. Went with the XL and it fits great! Im thinking over time the padding will flatten slightly and feel even better. I say take another good measurement and go with their chart...

Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by harryscott
My head measures 24-3/8, the upper end of the XL. Went with the XL and it fits great! Im thinking over time the padding will flatten slightly and feel even better. I say take another good measurement and go with their chart...
I've taken several measurements and come up with being between the two sizes. Hence, the question I asked. lol

Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
It hasn't been tested for DOT standards. The only approval they have is their own. Not that I give a crap as I wear what I want but don't cry like a baby when it fails a real DOT test when tested IF it ever gets tested. DOT is a joke. And I wear a Dot half with all the DOT labels and painted on DOT on the back. It failed when it finally was tested. I still wear it. Outlaw Ultra Low.
I finally got a recall notice a couple of months ago. I ignored, of course.

Quick Reply: akoury ak88 helmet