General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just impossbie to keep your bike scratch free??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:10 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts
Default RE: Is it just impossbie to keep your bike scratch free??

To some people, wear and tear on a bike give it a little style. Some can actually remember where each dent and scratch came from.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of scratches come while you're away from the bike, I think, I know each scratch on mine, and when the new ones pop up and I didn't do it, I believe the kids, gawkers and as such, put a lot of them on the bikes. IMHO

Old 08-21-2005, 02:44 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep it is impossible for sure, and I agree a black bike is the worst!!! However, IMHO nothing looks sharper than a clean black bike with a bit of chrome to set it off!

I'm a real stickler, some would call me down right **** about how my bike looks

As you've already seen you can't keep the scratches away, although a little off topic from what you asked, here a couple of my favorite products for a black bike with chrome...

Klasse All-in-one and Klasse Glaze (fantastic on black paint, I haven't found anything better yet). I've just ordered some products
from Glare, they look like they may be better than the Klasse, but I'll post more about this once I try them for myself.
For the chrome, I recently began using Menzerna Final Polish II, goes on and comes off easy and works better than most other products that I've used. If you want to work on a chrome problem area, fine scratches or some minor pitting, mix the Menzerna Final with Intensive polish 50/50 each, if the problem is worse, use more of the intensive polish. I know these two products are designed for paint, but the are great on chrome.

For a quick touch up Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield.

I'm still a big fan of all of the S100 products, but I'm finding that I've been replaces them with these others.

Joe

Old 08-21-2005, 11:15 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you ride it, it's going to get used marks on it. Rock chips, scratches, dull spots on the sides of the tank from chaps, engine dulling from rain, road grime, etc.

I like my bikes to look good, and I keep them clean and taken care of, but they are motor vehicles, not the Mona Lisa. Use them like they were designed to be used.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have black paint as well and have lots of very fine scratches in it. My chrome seems to be holding up very well...

Ryan

Old 08-21-2005, 03:26 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I've got to admit, reading this makes me feel better. Scratches on my bike are one of my biggest stressors when it comes to riding. I've got to keep telling myself that this thing isn't a museum piece, it's a bike that's meant for the road, and we're both happier on the road.

anyways, about two months ago I was washing my bike and my 2 year old daughter wanted to help. So before I saw her she picked up a sand dollar out of our rock garden and came over and helped me "wash" my front fender. The scratch is only about 6 inches long, and with fresh wax you can't see it....but that's my scratch, and my NT is only 5 months old.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Pat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and my 2 year old daughter wanted to help
Whatever you do, do not take that scratch out. 18 years from now when she's flying on her own that scratch will warm your heart everytime you see it.

Pat

Old 08-21-2005, 06:45 PM
IU_Booger
Tourer

Ouch..

Ouch..

Ouch...

Boogers first black eye was on the way to Alexandria... saw it coming... and BANG... dead center of the fairing, better there then on my forehead.

I rode over to Shreveport Friday and picked up a bra for her.. well she is pretty big busted you know.. and looks good in black.

I'll have to take a picture of her in her new under garments. I won’t post any cleavage of her.. she is shy ya know, besides you've seen her naked now.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:15 PM
keninnj
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Pat

and my 2 year old daughter wanted to help
Whatever you do, do not take that scratch out. 18 years from now when she's flying on her own that scratch will warm your heart everytime you see it.

Pat

Very wll said Pat...and aint it true..

Old 08-21-2005, 10:24 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

Chrome scratches, paint scratches, aluminum scratches, ...

Good to see most of y'all have gotten past the stage where they really bother. Won't matter 'cause if you ride it will get messed up.

Of course, all this might be why I have very little chrome, wrinkle black a lot of the aluminum, and have as many stainless steel parts as I can. And now my paint jobs feature the great and wonderful Rustoleum Hammered paint finishes. They're even better than flat paint 'cause the slightly textured finish hides a lot of things that get seen on regular finishes.

It's first about the ride, then it's a little bit about the look.

Quick Reply: Is it just impossbie to keep your bike scratch free??