General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYNA WIDE GLIDE....YOUR OPINION/FEEDBACK?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:49 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DYNA WIDE GLIDE....YOUR OPINION/FEEDBACK?

I ran this in the Dyna section and had plenty of hits, but only one response. I really want feedback on this, so let's see what this generates.

So last weekend I went riding with a few buddies and one of the guys was on a new Street Bob. We got to talking about his bike and he's telling me how the ride is so great...probably the best riding bike in the HD lineup. Well...considering I'm used to riding a Touring Bike, I do like a smooth ride, but I'm not sure it beats an Ultra. In any case, I've always believed that Dyna's ride better than Softail's due to the suspension set-up. Having owned neither and only ridden a Softail and never a Dyna, I really cannot judge the two.

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a new bike and I must admit, I do like the looks of the Dyna Wide Glide. I love the rake of the front end and the overall look.

What are your thoughts? How is the Dyna ride compared the others? Would you recommend buying a Dyna over a Softail?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:35 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DYNA WIDE GLIDE....YOUR OPINION/FEEDBACK?

I bought an 06 Dyna wide glide about a year ago and have put 10K on her. I also have an 03 Heritage and usually put at least 10K on her too.

The Heritage sits lower than the wide glide, and I like the ride. I do scrape the platforms in turns from time to time.

The Wide Glide sits higher and handles a lot better in the turns. On the highway they are both comfortable.

I tend to ride long distances pretty often - usually commuting from COlorado to California and back a couple of times a year, and often a trip back to NC once a year. Both bikes ride very nicely on the highway. On the twisties, I'd give the edge to the Dyna.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:39 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a dyna,SG,,,, rode a softail,,, to me dynas are way more fun on the twisties,,,
then,,,,,,,,I went out and bought my 2nd bike- Ultra!!!!! yea baby!!
you wont regret the WG!
maybe you can catch a demo somewhere and try it, or borow a buds, come ride mine, I dont care
good luck!

Old 02-25-2007, 05:35 PM
haksaw
Road Master

i've had3 dynas and softail (deluxe)
I've also had an electraglide. The eglide is obviously the nicest ride but imo the dyna is a close second...the softail, well lets just say i liked how it looked but not much else.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:00 PM
RoadKingHellas
Cruiser

Coming froma touring bike , I also like the chopper looks of the Wide Glide ...
If you had to choose between a wide glide , street bob or a spinger classic what whould you really choose ?
I knowthat the wide glide and the springer belong to two different families , having different specs butwhich would you really choose in terms of looks and riding style ?

Old 02-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member

My buddy rides an '06 wide glide very nice bike, but it's designed for taller riders.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:05 PM
RoadKingHellas
Cruiser

For my message above , I mean the springer classic..

Old 02-25-2007, 06:32 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny you would ask. I also like the Springer Classic very much. When you get right down to it, I like them all (mostly). Since I was thinking of going a different direction...something for shorter rides...around town...the typical weekend rides, etc. I thought the Dyna might be nice for a change. Here's what I was thinking...go with a Wide Glide, lower the suspension, go with a low profile seat and put drag bars on the bike. Just the idea sounds bitchin' to me. Yes, for you young peple reading this post, I said Bitchin'. Don't ask me to explain.

As far as the Springer goes...well at some point I'll just have to get one of those too. Kinda like having an Indian in the garage. Oh.....my list of wants, it's never ending.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:18 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

I have had a Softail, Dyna, FXR, FXSB, and Electra Glides. I actually think the FXR handled and was smoother than the Dyna's. The Softail was a sweet ride, but not so great in the long distances department. The FXSB was just a totally different ride from all the others though...but it handled well. The Electra Glide is smooth and handles well...just take it a little easier in the curves.

In my opinion, the FXR was the best and it is no longer with us though.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,372 Likes on 5,703 Posts

Ive never rode a Soft Tail, but I did own a dyna, and I can tell you that I put many 400-500 mile days on it no problem. Slap a set of bags on it and I wouldnt hesitate to take it accross country.

Quick Reply: DYNA WIDE GLIDE....YOUR OPINION/FEEDBACK?