General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New versus slightly used versus older bike suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM
see22ds
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New versus slightly used versus older bike suggestions

So it seems me and the GF are taking many more rides and short trips than we orginally anticipated. Currently we have a dyna wide glide and have really enjoyed the 5k we have already stacked on it this season...but we also do note that we would like a ride with some more options. Although we have added saddlebags, touring seats, backrest...etc for comfort, we still wish we had more options...more storage, radio...overall better ride for longer trips. I am not saying what we currently have would not work for us heading out for 10 days, but I think a larger bike with more options would be a better suited for longer trips.

So I have been looking into and researching touring models. I really do want a Street Glide, but reality is even though it would offer us more than we have now, it still doesnt fit the overall wants we seek. It could if we purchase more mods and accessories, but then we are up against $$$$ in the long run.

I have been looking at new bikes, versus 07-10 model years, but as I am looking around I am starting to notice there are a lot of late 90's and early 2000's in fantastic shape with hardley any miles on them for a heck of lot cheaper than newer ones ofc...I mean enough to make me wonder do I really need new, newer, or can i suffice for a few years on an older bike and save some $$$. I can only imagine many here have contemplated theses same thoughts and would be interested in feedback from you. Do not get me wrong I would love to buy a spaking brand new Ultra...but after the second payment I know I would be like WTF did I do this for? but maybe a new bike versus an older one would cure other frustrations which would out weigh the payment bummer...just curious, thanks in advance for you suggestions and personal thoughts.

Michael

last thought....Yes I am keeping the Wide Glide because I love the bike and have been and will continue to keep moding it for solo local riding. Plus its payed for.

Last edited by see22ds; 07-31-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Big thing about ANY used bike is history. When I get in the market, I'll be looking used as it seems to me and my limited skills when it comes to newer electronic controls that something a bit older with low miles is the way to go. JMHO.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's definitely pluses on both sides. The 88's seem to be pretty bomb proof. I have several friends that have the 88's and have never had any problems. Like QC said, history plays into it. If someone ran the bike hard and didn't do maintenance but liked to keep them shiny it could be a problem. I've bought my last couple bikes new just because I didn't want to roll the dice with a used.

As far as new bikes go, check out some of the other tourers as well. I have a buddy who rides a heritage with his wife and they love it. He's driven that thing all over hell and creation. A road king would be another good long distance bike. I think they are a little easier on the pocket book than a SG as well.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I would look for an 07 the last of the throttle cables, so you wont
have to worry about the electronic throttle leaving you stranded
somewhere in traffic, or the middle of nowhere. You can also bump
the 96 cubes to 103 for 700.00 +labor, or you can go up to 107
cubes for somewhat more. but you will need to get a touring stabilizer
of some sort to go on it. Good luck

Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You're on the right track comsidering used......do it! Ownership, history, condition mileage, and price....key factors. Don't let anyone tell you a bagger is necessary for touring. But for two-up, I would eliminate sportsters and dynas for sure. Can't go wrong with a softail. I personally have a 20 yr old softail and travel with the wife no problem. All bikes are uncomfortable after awhile, but the big key is getting it set up to fit you personally ie. seat, handlebars, backrest, etc. There's nothing a newer bike can do that an older one can't....cept maybe set youy back a few more dollars.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM
DPelletier
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only you know what you can afford. I decided on used but wanted the '09 and up chassis with the bigger rear wheel and ABS so I ended up buying a well maintained 2010 with 11,000 miles and saving over $10,000 vs. buying a new one.

2 pennies,
Dave

Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Test ride if you can. evo 80 - tc 88 - and late models are three different beasts.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been considering the same thing. Softail is paid for and is a great ride for myself but ol wants more comfort for all day and multi day travel. I know I won't sell or trade. I don't want to be caught in a tight space and risk life without a bike. Been there done that never going back.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

OK here are my thoughts. There are large numbers of good, low mileage, used bikes out there. Not sure why but it appears a lot of people don't like riding as much as I do.

I could afford a new bike, but I think Harley prices are ridiculous these days and as I said there are a lot of good very lightly used bikes out there.

If you want a good touring bike look for an 09 and up. The new chassis, gearbox, larger fuel tank, with the wider tires are all good things. Shop for a private sale bike with low miles and mostly unmolested (close to stock). Best deals are in the off season, but it is getting late into the riding season and by about Sept. pricing should be getting pretty good.

I wanted to update my 2000 FLHRCI last year. Didn't like dealer pricing so looked into the used market. Found several Road Kings (my personal preference) at very attractive pricing. Purchased one from Craig's List that met all my requirements, 2010 FLHRCI 5000 mi. Stock except for Reinhart Mufflers, HD Sissy Bar, and Chrome covers on the rear floorboards....so basically unmolested, barely broken in and in perfect condition. Paid $15,000. Dealer price new was ~$23,000, Used 2010's in dealer showrooms ran ~$19,000 and many had more miles and were molested.

There are probably a lot of good older TC88's out there too...But I really like the new frame set-up, and I drove a 2000 TC88 for 12 years and enjoyed every mile. The new stuff really makes it a pleasure to drive.

So that's my advice...Take it for what it's worth. I've been riding for over 40 yrs, the last 20 on Harleys. There are just too many lightly used used bikes to ignore.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:52 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are riding two up, why not consider a classic (FLHTC) You'll appreciate the tourpack, and your OL will appreciate the seat

Quick Reply: New versus slightly used versus older bike suggestions