General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in military uniforms

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:27 AM
taznavy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in military uniforms

When I get back to the states next month I will be riding my new Harley to work which means on and off base(Norfolk, Virginia Area.) During the Summer and spring its easy to wear my NWUs and I can take the top off put it in my bag and wear my riding Jacket than switch out in the parking lot. The walk to my work from the parking lot will be about a good 10 min walk to the ship.
Wondering how you guys ride to work? Change there or ride. I have a nice pair of riding boots I love so would like to wear them when I ride. Not trying to leave for work too early just to change but any ideas here guys?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 AM
mooreman21
Advanced

just wear your uniform. put something over your left boot or over your shifter to keep from having a black scuff on the boot. if Norfolk requires the reflective/fluorescent vest, just throw it over your top. that's what most of us do here.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:52 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a size larger kevlar jeans that I wear over my khakis, leather jacket, and boots. I keep a pair of uniform shoes at work, so I can walk from my bike with the gear on and just strip it off when I get in without having to go to the head and change.

When I wear NWUs, I just ride in them with a leather jacket. Then hand-carry the jacket (left arm of course) from the parking lot.

I use a
carabiner-style lock carabiner-style lock
and leave my helmet on the bike.

I honestly don't understand what the mafia is thinking not allowing us to wear PPE between the parking lot and ship/building. I'd rather encourage sailors' use of PPE by not making it a PITA to wear it, rather than worry about getting a salute between parking lot and ship (and that's what this BS is really about BTW).

Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

worry about your hat??? You will be wearing a helmet if you ride.

DoD requirement.

~Joe

Old 08-11-2013, 12:34 PM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just throw reflective vest over my ABU top. We're lucky to have suede boots though. I hate the color, but I'm happy to not have to polish anymore.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Because I work in an office, I wear a nice pull over shirt of various colors, except for Friday. Then I wear a T-shirt. But I always wear jeans.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Careful with the putting the top on & off in the parking lot, some non-riders seem to get very upset about such things.

+1 on knowing your commands policy. Printed & handy.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:00 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,348 Likes on 2,370 Posts

I'd also have a current copy of the commands policies/regs in case the deputy dawgs try to get a little pushy with the powers. Back in the day, my helmet was acceptable headgear in lieu of my cover, as long as I was wearing it directly from the bike to the building.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,974 Likes on 17,496 Posts

All sounds like flaming hoops and flying monkeys just to show who's in charge to me , I feel your pain guys .....

Old 08-11-2013, 03:50 PM
SleekGT
Advanced

I just wear my ABU's and throw my orange ICON vest on (I don't even zip it up). When I wear my blues on Monday's I put my vest on and the Golf Pro Shops sell some white pull on sleeves so it make it look like I have the appearance of a long sleeve shirt on.

Quick Reply: Riding in military uniforms