General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headphones for the highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

So it's illegal to wear headphones, but it's legal to wear earplugs.

Seems to defy logic ...

Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TO34
Do not do it.. I see you are in So Cal, get a 3/4 helmet with pockets for the speakers. I was pulled over on I-5 was going a lil fast.... but long story short, he could see I had my headphones in. "ya know, to keep out wind noise"

CHIP let me go with a warning.... just my 2cents.
I guess there's a difference between ear plugs and ear buds?

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...aspx?stateid=5

I tried ear buds and music a couple times, but found it distracting on the 5. I just wear ear plugs now. Been pulled over twice and never hassled about them. My speed on the other hand...

Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
I guess there's a difference between ear plugs and ear buds?

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...aspx?stateid=5

I tried ear buds and music a couple times, but found it distracting on the 5. I just wear ear plugs now. Been pulled over twice and never hassled about them. My speed on the other hand...
I guess I should've googled it:

Wearing of Headsets or Earplugs

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

Amended Sec. 45, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27400.htm

Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for JVC marshmallows. They are pretty darn good for the money. I used to used them before I decided to get a blue tooth headset for my modular helmet. The bluetooth don't sound near as good but I like the convenience of not having to plug a cord in when I get on the bike. Florida's law doesn't allow an ear bud in both ears, just one. They don't require a helmet either which however anybody feels about helmets, and no I don't care what anybody wears, it seems like a helmet would be more worthwhile mandating than having an ear free. I asked a cop once about Florida's ear bud law and he said he didn't know anybody who would pull someone over for it but if someone was pulled over for something else and they were a jerk about it then it could be added in.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 AM
leroylucky
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
Thats seems like a good option to go with. I have tried skull candy before for just workout purposed and didnt care for them. Figured I would have to spend a little $$$ to get something decent, just dont want to spend cash multiple times till I find the right one for me. Might go with this option coupled with the Comply plugs.
I use the BEAT headphone that wrap around the ear. They are pricy but sound great. I also got them from Best Buy with the extended warrantee. 2 year replacement no questions. I have gone through alot of headphones and these are my favorite.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The laws vary by state, but in most states, the use of headphones or earbuds in/on BOTH ears is not legal.
Helmet mounted speakers however, are legal in most states.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 AM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

+4 for the JVC marshmallows. They're inexpensive and they work very well. Can hear music just fine on the highway at 80+. And that's wearing just a half hemet or no helmet.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Koafarms
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Shure SE210 sound isolating ear buds... a little spendy but worth it with my half helmit