General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Manners

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Road Manners

What in world has become of bikers having some manners when traveling on the freeway, or any road for that manner ? Coming home from Sturgis on I-90 I'd pull up on someone in the left lane and they would be doing the same speed as the vehicle next to them. Man ! If you have no intensions of passing them, why in world would you pull out into the passing lane. There are all kinds of signs along the road that say, slower traffic keep to the right. That means if your doing 85 and someone pulls up behind you doing 95, you are the slower traffic, and pull over to the right lane and let them pass. I just don't get it.
Jonnierock

Old 08-12-2013, 09:54 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Slower traffic keep to the right may mean that to you, but it does not mean that to everybody that started driving in the '80's or later. The signs used to read "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS". That was clear and did not need any interpretation. All those signs have been taken down and replaced by speed limit signs and then right after the speed limit sign is a sign that says "Slower traffic keep right". Idiots and younger drivers interpret that to mean that if you are going slower than the speed limit you should keep right. Inconsiderate drivers and a$$holes feel like it is their right to drive in the left lane and, as far as they are concerned, you can go ***** yourself if you want to get around them.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, it drive me nuts also. I have conjectured that many people have thier cars or trucks (Semi's also) on cruise. They may be only going 0.5 or 1 mph faster then the person in front of them. They pull left to pass but just the vehicle but stay in cruise. So they are just crawling past them while the people that at in the left lane want to kill them.

They are completely oblivious, or it's all about them. No concern about anybody else on the road. Seriously people look in your rear view mirror! Try to have one once of ergency please!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,072 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I rarely ride in the left lane, car or bike because I'm usually going the speed limit or 5 over. What I hate is someone riding my butt in the right lane, when they could go around. That's when I let off the gas and start coasting.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I drive a 400hp Corvette and I see that a lot, and the problem as I see it is that the cops are real jerk offs for giving speeding tickets if your running even for a short sprint over 80. Here in Florida the speed limit is 70mph, the semi's are running about 75 to 80 in the slow lane, if you get in the left lane and run much more than 80 you will get a ticket. The cops won't buy the line that you just sped up to 90 to 100 pass. You just have to sit in the fast lane with the cruise control set at 80, then if you pull into the right lane, some dick wad won't let break back into the line that's now formed up in the left lane.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Bugs me too. When I finally get around these dip sheets, I like to take a look at them just so I can see what stupid looks like.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I rarely ride in the left lane, car or bike because I'm usually going the speed limit or 5 over. What I hate is someone riding my butt in the right lane, when they could go around. That's when I let off the gas and start coasting.

Yes that. I had some idiot driving on the bumper of my car once in his huge pickup truck. The left lane was clear so he could have passed but refused to. I brake checked him then glanced in my mirror and his OL was ripping him a new one. That was a satisfying feeling. He backed off after that.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
I drive a 400hp Corvette and I see that a lot, and the problem as I see it is that the cops are real jerk offs for giving speeding tickets if your running even for a short sprint over 80. Here in Florida the speed limit is 70mph, the semi's are running about 75 to 80 in the slow lane, if you get in the left lane and run much more than 80 you will get a ticket. The cops won't buy the line that you just sped up to 90 to 100 pass. You just have to sit in the fast lane with the cruise control set at 80, then if you pull into the right lane, some dick wad won't let break back into the line that's now formed up in the left lane.
Those bastards! I can't believe they won't cut you a break for a short sprint up to 90-100, so you can maintain the 10-over you're already running!

I do agree with you that few drivers seem to realize that the left lanes are for passing, not cruising.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Ken Fortunato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rollin' road blocks... And it doesn't matter how many lanes there are... I've been on four lane sections of Rt. 80 in Jersey, where four cars are driving door handle, to door handle for miles...

Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People suck.

Quick Reply: Road Manners