General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 CVO Limited is liquid cooled, touch screen GPS, voice command, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 AM
JONWYATT
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 touring bike liquid cooling

It's "An engine heat management system" that uses radiators, hoses, pumps and coolant. IT'S NOT LIQUID COOLED !!! (according to Harley-Davidson) LOL!!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

It is almost like Harley is trying to sneak in liquid cooling under the radar. Yes I know there is a lot of discussion on the forum, but if you read their website there is no mention of liquid cooling. There have been no big public presentations by Harley either. Compare that to the huge publicly machine Polaris used for their new Indian models.

Theory One - Harley has had an ongoing issue with it's engines in that not enough cooling air reaches the rear cyl to keep it cool in hot weather, particularly when it is idling in traffic. They have previously tried to deal with this issue by shutting down the spark to the rear jug when the bike is idling in traffic. Kind of a band aid solution. This is more of a fix to an existing engine design (it only cools the exhaust valve) than it is an all new engine design. I think they may be avoiding a publicity blitz around this technology as it would also be an admission to an ongoing problem. Over heating, when it occurs, in any engine, shortens engine life. In contrast just about any fully water cooled motorcycle engine is good for at least 100,000 trouble free miles with nothing other than oil changes, spark plug changes, air filter cleaning and valve adjusts (in high speed DOHC engines).

Theory Two - They may be avoiding playing this up until they have it ready for sale in their main stream bikes to avoid hurting sales of the existing air cooled models.

Last edited by fat_tony; 08-21-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 AM
typicaldenimbob
Cruiser

The air cooled Harley's are as good as gone. The Moco will most likely be converting the entire line within 5 years. It's ridiculous that "die hards" are disappointed.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 AM
LSwonGriff
5th Gear

If that orange liquid I see is dex cool or anything like it they are going to have some serious issues.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 309 Posts

I cant imagine how much the first few services will cost if you have the dealer doing them !! Plus I can not wait to read threads on people having trouble trying to wake them up, or open them up, or make them breathe better, or having trouble with adding new exhaust etc.
All I can say is thank God I was able to get a 13 Heritage and simply take off the mufflers and cats at same time and not have to worry about another maintenance issue with water cooling.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I also don't see this as the end of the world. With the steady increase in the size of engines, it was inevitable. It may never be an issue for me anyways as the Heritage runs just fine and I am in no mood to change a thing.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the introduction of these liquid cooled heads is just testing the waters. If the fact that the bikes have LC and it doesn't hurt their sales then they will ramp up and introduce newer engine designs that are completely liquid cooled and not just the heads.

cheers

Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,908 Likes on 16,432 Posts

[QUOTE=heritageblue2013;11666350]I cant imagine how much the first few services will cost if you have the dealer doing them !! Plus I can not wait to read threads on people having trouble trying to wake them up, or open them up, or make them breathe better, or having trouble with adding new exhaust etc.
All I can say is thank God I was able to get a 13 Heritage and simply take off the mufflers and cats at same time and not have to worry about another maintenance issue with water.

It's not like HD has had a water cooled bike since 2003. I owned one. It's called the Vrod. The only extra maintenance that was done was making sure the coolant level was topped off.

Do you have to worry about extra maintenance in your water cooled car or truck?

It's like people think HD invented a water cooled motor yesterday and there weren't miillions of them already on the road.

Last edited by Walter White; 08-21-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to the dealer today and looked at 20 new 14's. They are magnificent! Now, where do I find room for one more!!!!:icon_banana :[/quote]
I will lend you some space in my garage!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

SECG = Screamin' Eagle Cool-aid Glide??

Quick Reply: 2014 CVO Limited is liquid cooled, touch screen GPS, voice command, etc.