General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody build a kit bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM
rich1374670x
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anybody build a kit bike?

I am interested in building one. J.P cycles has a kit. It is a Milwaukie softail frame. Not sure they are sold as a kit but they have everything their. Anyone build one? Total cost? How good is the frame?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Jamz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never tried building a kit bike, but, I have tried building a bike starting from just a frame.......AND let me tell you, unless you are going to make it super different, I would just buy a bike already assembled - WAY more Cost-Effective!

If you are on a budget and can only afford to spend a little bit each month for say a couple of years, then you can do the kit thing, or just save the money you would have spent on each item(s) each month, and buy something complete at the end of a year or how every many years it would have taken to build your kit bike.

That is just my input anyway.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I owned a Gilroy Indian. Buy a Harley!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I've never built a "kit" bike, but I've built customs from the frame up. It's something you do because you enjoy the process, or because you've got a pile of parts looking for a home.

I probably wouldn't built a bike up from an aftermarket frame, a "special construction" is harder to sell when you're ready to move on to another project. If you build your custom from a clean titled Harley frame, you'll most likely get more of your money back when it's time to sell.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i built a big bear choppers bare bones kit bike. rev tech 100 ci, rev tech 6 speed, BDL belt drive, santee frame, ARP fasteners. all quality pieces. the sheet metal, controls, lights, electrical system were all cheap but the bike was under 10K. added a few goodies and chrome and paint for under 13K. came out pretty nice for my first try. the sissy bar was removable as was the fender and lights/license plate holder. it was delivered in a big box by a big truck to my door. this pic is just before the owner came and got it. 6 weeks later he sold it for crack money, six weeks later he was shot by his crack dealer. there were no instructions but i have built several cars so i figured 2 wheels would be half the work. took me about 3 months doing it on the weekends. would i do it again? hell yes.

Last edited by jo_mama; 09-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Wish I had the skills and the money. To be able to build a bike the exact way I wanted it would be a dream.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 PM
hdoilcan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to build (with my son) a bike from a kit just to be able to pass it on to him.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,975 Likes on 17,497 Posts

Keep something in mind with all aftermarket parts and these " Kits " everything must be fitted up and most times tweaked or outright modified to work right & look good when done . Been building sleds from the ground up forever and I strongly suggest you do a complete build of the bike without the final paint job , ride it a couple months do all the mods and changes that will happen for several reasons and then do the paint over the winter . Can't tell how many bikes I've seen done with $$$ paint jobs done first that needed rework on something or another tab welded on somewhere .

Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Big ALbert
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Built One when HD where hard to come by
Be prepared to spend lots time looking at Catalogs
But it's worth it that way you get Exactly watch you one

Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I once took apart the carbs on a real bike and reassembled them incorrectly. Other than that, no.

Quick Reply: anybody build a kit bike?