General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountain Roads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Snakepit
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no good at doing it, but some GPX files would be awesome

Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,384 Likes on 3,299 Posts

There is a road between Culhowee i think 109 or 107 that runs down south to Highlands or Brevard...Not that extreme but nice...I have been on so many roads up there i don't remember the names of, we as a group of 3-6 would go about 3-10 times a year the first 4 years i had my Bagger and just get lost somewhere and get found somewhere... There are tons of roads around Mt Airy, to Sparta to Boone to Elizibathton TN and Everywhere between...

Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM
squarewheel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John Brown Hwy. Out round Murphy, got lost and found it.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 PM
zwildman
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

US Highway 58 from Independence to Abingdon, Virginia is a nice road and Fox Creek Leather is located just outside of Independence. I did a loop out of 58 and 421 (The Snake) just a couple weeks ago and that was a really good ride.

NC 8 (Tuggles Gap) and NC 89 (Low Gap) from Danbury, NC are both great roads that lead to the Blue Ridge. 89 isn't that great except between Danbury and Mt. Airy but 8 is an awesome road all the way up to Tuggles Gap. I make a short afternoon trip out of 8 and 89 and sometimes NC 66.

NC 16 and NC 18 from Wilkesboro are both really good roads that cross the Blue Ridge. 16 goes on up to Mouth of Wilson and intersects US 58 while 18 loops around back to NC 89. Stop by Freeborne's for a cold one and some grub.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,384 Likes on 3,299 Posts

Originally Posted by zwildman
US Highway 58 from Independence to Abingdon, Virginia is a nice road and Fox Creek Leather is located just outside of Independence. I did a loop out of 58 and 421 (The Snake) just a couple weeks ago and that was a really good ride.

NC 8 (Tuggles Gap) and NC 89 (Low Gap) from Danbury, NC are both great roads that lead to the Blue Ridge. 89 isn't that great except between Danbury and Mt. Airy but 8 is an awesome road all the way up to Tuggles Gap. I make a short afternoon trip out of 8 and 89 and sometimes NC 66.

NC 16 and NC 18 from Wilkesboro are both really good roads that cross the Blue Ridge. 16 goes on up to Mouth of Wilson and intersects US 58 while 18 loops around back to NC 89. Stop by Freeborne's for a cold one and some grub.
Forgot about 18 and 16... they are nice...

Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

You need to take US 19 to Maggie Valley if your in the area, very motorcycle friendly and the Wheels Through Time museum.

http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/

Old 09-27-2013, 04:35 PM
nolabel
Cruiser

One road I have not seen mentioned yet is Route 250 from Elkins WV heading East over to Waynesboro VA (top north point of BRP). A really nice run if heading from that way over to the BRP.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:46 PM
nolabel
Cruiser

Also, Route 209 from Lake Junaluska to Hot Springs, NC. I think part of it is called the Rattler or something. On my FXR I liked this route, but my father-in-law, on his Heritage, also liked the roads to the north of the Rattler. Route 70, 208, 212 from Hot Springs over to the I-26.

If spots to stay feature on your website, our favourite stopping point on the BRP was Blowing Rock, NC. Just a nice little town a few clicks off the BRP, and we heartily recommend the Homestead Inn on Morris St in town.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain

Route 16 from Marion Va to Tazewell Va is a good ride. route 58 from Damascus to Volney Va is also a good one. In reference to route 8 in NC up Tuggles gap at the BRP, that is a good ride but be careful coming from the NC side as the road is nice and sweeping until you get to the bottom of the mountain. All at once you round a turn and you are staring at the pavement as the switch backs start here and the road is steeply banked and abruptly turns. Don't ask me how I know. At least there is a little café at the top where you can calm the nerves with a brew. Literally hundreds of good rides in this region. Unlike here in texas where the riding is mild in comparison. highway 21 from Elkins to Sparta NC is another good ride.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM
zwildman
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

21 is another good one, especially through Roaring Gap but it's nice all the way through to West Virginia via 52 in Wytheville. Fox Creek Leather is on 21. There is also a little detour as you go up 21 to Stone Mountain State Park. You can also continue the detour of 21 and go from near the entrance to the park up to Roaring Gap. Also cool to take a day and hike to the falls or climb to the top of Stone Mountain.

Thought of another good one, 181 from Morganton to Linville. Not terribly curvy but it's a long curvy road with not a lot steep grade or switchbacks. You can also make a loop up 194 and 19E to Roan Mountain, TN and then come back into NC to Bakersville across Roan Mountain itself which is pretty cool. 261 wasn't in good shape this year so be careful on that one, hopefully it's slated for paving soon.

Most of the roads are in fairly good shape but another one to watch out for is 221 from Linville to Blowing Rock. Not a great surface and the locals fly through there. It's a nice ride around Grandfather Mountain but I would rather take the BRP.

Last edited by zwildman; 09-27-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountain Roads?