General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody here that HASN'T wrecked?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:55 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Anybody here that HASN'T wrecked?

Been a while, have not laid down my Harley. Did a high speed offroad run on my ZZR1200 but kept it up by the grace of god. Also, did a 1 mph garage drop on my Z1000, only thing bruised was my ego.

Before that, it had been over 10 years. Knock on wood, I have never had a LONG slide or bad drop.

The saying is true, if you ride, you will fall at some point. Statistics prove it over and over again.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 PM
ironmike41
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been riding for 12 years and so I've been lucky. I've had a few close calls but never layed a bike down. Hopefully I never will.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:21 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Started riding in 74 never had a crash till june of 05........8' long x 6" wide x 4" deep grove cut by a road grinder, Then filled flush with the road surface with small stone from the grinder. Totaly camoed with the color of the road.
The wife and I both slammed to the ground. 10" long steel plate and 12 screws in my left leg and a shoulder operation for my wife. I don't think we'll ever be good as new. This crash came out of nowhere after 30 years on the road

Old 03-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not counting my moto-X and off road riding crashes, I've been on the road for 11 years, never been down, and don't plan on it. I don't agree with the old saying "there are those that have and those that will". That's defeatist attitude. You don't plan on having a heart attack, but some people do, we don't apply the "haves and wills" to that, why should we to riding motorcycles. If I do go down, hey, thenI go down. Dave

Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've logged 40,000 miles in the past year and a half and had no probs at all - thank heavens!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:33 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to say that to myself all the time
ORIGINAL: Dave_E

I've never been down, and don't plan on it.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have broken my collar bone, two ribs, shoulder blade, 1 toe, 4 fingers and my rt. foot in 3 places.....all while riding in the desert. I have never (knock on wood) been down on the street. I am very cautious on the street, but I still ride aggressively. I know that my time is coming.... BC

Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

28 years of riding and have never even had a bike fall over. I've had quite a few close calls, skidding sideways, hard lockups, but no accidents. I'm not superstitious, nor do I believe the saying that there are 2 types of riders, hose that have fallen and those that will. The only thing I get concerned with are deer and other animals, otherwise I just ride like everyone out there is trying to kill me, and anticipate their bonehead moves.[&:]

Old 03-09-2007, 09:50 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped the ironhead in the driveway once, and at a close call on my dirt bike at age 11.

I was at my uncles farm cruising at 40-50 down the long gravel driveway and the dog ran out in front of me. I grabbed a handfull of front brake (bad idea) and felt the front slide and and the bike about to tip over on the left side, so I stuck my leg down and stomped on the ground (another bad idea)and somehow managed to get control back, still haven't figured out how I got out of that one.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:09 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BREAD

Been a while, have not laid down my Harley. Did a high speed offroad run on my ZZR1200 but kept it up by the grace of god. Also, did a 1 mph garage drop on my Z1000, only thing bruised was my ego.

Before that, it had been over 10 years. Knock on wood, I have never had a LONG slide or bad drop.

The saying is true, if you ride, you will fall at some point. Statistics prove it over and over again.
Been riding approx 40 yrs,toured US, Mexico and Canada, fortunately never laid one down. Been rear ended while stopped at a stop light, got shot accross the intersection but fortunately no cross traffic at the time.

Statistically, those envolved in accidents usually have a higherhistory of past accidents and traffic tickets. Itry to avoid both.

Quick Reply: Anybody here that HASN'T wrecked?