General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was at a particularly sad lookin HD dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:34 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on the owner of the dealership. Bergen happens to be one of the best a with very good staff that are friendly and know their product. They remember your name and the bikes you own without looking them up. They always have something going on Saturdays and happens to be a good destination. Almost a bike show. I miss most of that because I work Saturdays but they get a good mixed crowd that is entertaining and not just HOG guys. Good meatball sandwiches too. Yes it is a cookie cutter HD formatted store but it has some personality.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:36 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I agree some dealerships are like walking into a mortuary, quiet with no atmosphere while others are fun places to visit and browse.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:51 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,867 Likes on 6,240 Posts

Bad timing. As soon as you left, a whole chapter of 1%ers pulled in with a beer truck as a chase vehicle. There were strippers on the parts counter. You could smell weed all over the place. They were shooting beers off of each other's heads. There was a burnout contest in the showroom, free food, and everything was discounted 90%. When I left, rainbows and butterflies followed me all the way home. It was like Disney...the happiest place on earth.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:01 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They probably had so much money tied up in their new building, that they didn't have the money for inventory.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 AM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rpking
I look at the dealerships like I look at *****,
they are all about the same, they can all cost you lots of money one way or another,
but that doesn't stop me from wanting to stop in and check out one I haven't been in before.
Can I get a "hell yes" from the congregation?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Smurdamat1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azblackbird
Could somebody please explain something to me... WTF is it with HD riders and their fascinations with HD dealerships?
Normally a great place to take a dump while burning up the highway!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,581 Likes on 5,946 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I won't name the spot, other than somewhere in the boonies of California on a business trip.

You've all been to a dealer like this. The usual branded brick a brack and expensive, but not so great leather.

The new bikes were nice. But the lighting in the place was horrible so they were badly displayed.

The staff looked like it really didn't want to be there, and it was not even near closing time on a regular business day.

I thought I'd look at gloves. But not a single pair was up to snuff with the pairs I already have.

Not a single thing in the whole shop was something I was remotely interested in buying.

One older guy did ride up in a cool scoot I could tell he had been running for years and talked to the service guys. Another, younger guy, rode up in a much too loud Dyna that looked like it had been cloned from SOA. Come to think of it, so did he.

I had enough and went my merry way after a grand total of 5 to 10 minutes in the place. Thank goodness the bikes themselves are great rides. Because some of the dealerships can be downright depressing.
C'mon man!!!

Sounds like the Dealers we USED to have. 20 yrs ago my Dealer was in a little crappy shop. Cramped, greasy and perfect. Most parts were on hand and didn't have to be ordered. The guys in there were bikers.

The new Dealership they opened just a few years ago resembles a multi-million dollar mall. You feel out of place stopping in after work in your dirty work clothes, and a couple of the old guys still working there look like bikers, but no one else does, including the shoppers.....

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

It makes you wonder how long they'll stay in business?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 AM
ringofld
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Ford.
I don't ever visit Ford dealerships when in a new town.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

We have 2 dealers close enough for me. One is the big, bright palace that also sells HondaTriumphYamahaEtc and all the bling for each. But their attitude sucks, they have a horrible online rep and I used to cringe if I had to go there when I was a metric rider because they were "Harley Snobs".

Now I've switched to an HD and I don't think I'll ever go back. But guess what. Their attitude still sucks and I still hate going there.

On the other hand, there's a closer dealer that has been in business since 1962, has a much smaller shop, sells ONLY Harleys and always has. Out in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking. And every time I walk in there, they know me. They treat me fairly. They have a good selection of bikes and bling and clothes. Their parts guys know their stuff, they have maintenance and riding seminars, cruise-in nights in the summer. I could go on.....

If I'm buying a new bike or I've chosen to buy HD accessories or bling or clothes, I will ALWAYS go to Harv's Harley Davidson in Macedon, NY. Kim and her staff are awesome!

Quick Reply: Was at a particularly sad lookin HD dealer today