Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Lots of popping from my 103 HO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/918296-lots-of-popping-from-my-103-ho.html)

Hell Fire Hog 10-28-2013 04:26 PM

Lots of popping from my 103 HO

My exhaust is popping a lot when I decelerate and/or rev to 2200 and less while sitting still. Sometimes it backfires on decel.

When they came and got it to do the clutch recall I told the driver about it and he made a note of it, a week or so before that I had the service manager at the dealership make a note of it, which he did.

I went to get the bike back after they done the recall work and the guy read the repair invoice which says

Tech checked calibration.
Bike has most current calibration.

Checked for exhaust leaks.
None found.
All clamps and nuts are tight.

There is no way to adjust ECM for for any decel pop issues.

This could be normal for this bike because at 1700-2000 rpm the injectors kick back on.

Test rode and no problem found.

Would any of you say its normal for it to pop and backfire?

Has ayone else on the forum had the same problem?

teedubya 10-28-2013 04:41 PM

It doesn't sound normal to me but a face to face with the service foreman should address the problem. I've learned not to trust a third party to accurately convey my feelings and thoughts to the party that should be hearing it first hand. Nothing against the driver who picked your bike up but he has more on his mind than just your issues.

Dusty Bones 10-28-2013 05:11 PM

Pulling in the clutch lever fixes it 100% of the time.

Iron lHorse 10-28-2013 06:07 PM

I was thinking a bad oxygen sensor or loose sensor wire .

dh2683 10-28-2013 07:08 PM

If it's a 14 and all stock NO that's not normal.

xhere 10-28-2013 07:26 PM

Mine done the same thing, on deceleration or quick rap on the throttle while sitting still, it wasnt real loud. More of a putting sound not a loud backfire. But did sound like crap. It only lasted about 400 miles as it went away after modifications. I figured it was a lean decel issue.

Northbound Southerner 10-28-2013 07:28 PM

Why are you revving it to 2200 RPMs when sitting still? It will idle on it's own...

bdtaylor1979 10-28-2013 09:08 PM

If its a completely stock bike it shouldn't do it. If you have aftermarket free flowing exhaust a lot of people including me have decel popping.

Hell Fire Hog 10-29-2013 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by themouth!!! (Post 11924738)
Why are you revving it to 2200 RPMs when sitting still? It will idle on it's own...

To see if it happened all the time or just on decel.

Hell Fire Hog 10-29-2013 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 11924170)
It doesn't sound normal to me but a face to face with the service foreman should address the problem. I've learned not to trust a third party to accurately convey my feelings and thoughts to the party that should be hearing it first hand. Nothing against the driver who picked your bike up but he has more on his mind than just your issues.

The service manager was the first guy I talked to. I dident word what I actually done very well so my bad.

Thanks for your input guys.