General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another reason why I gave up my "Beanie" lid

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another reason why I gave up my "Beanie" lid

ORIGINAL: HD7585

Your kidding, Right
ORIGINAL: DirtyDave

Everyone is missing my point.

A helment will not save your life.

Not at all. Riders get over confident because they believe they will. If they did save lifes then why can't we wear them in autos? It just big brother and the insurance companies that want control. The insurance compaines know that manditory helment use lowers the number of regested motorcycles and states that repeal a helment law will have a large increase of registared riders.

I don't knock anyone who wants to wear a helment. It should be a choice.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could Not disigree with you More.................Ride Safe

Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

DirtyDave,

"If your so set on helmets save lives, do you wear one when your in you cage? FACT- There are more head injuries in cage accidents then in motorcycle accidents. Every hard point in the cage is a spot to hit your head and any passenger during an accident. FACT - Every race car driver wears one, no matter the type of race."

Give the liberals maybe 20 years and believe me they'll come up with helmets being mandatory in cars too. The Nanny State never stops growing...

Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

From one who was hit by a cager pulling out of a parking lot and went airborn, I didn't ride before the crash withoua helemt and I won't ride without it now. That said, I also willl not dog you about your choice to wear or not wear a helemt. Your life, your choice. I figure I only got one head with a brain and I'd like to keep it, such as it is. What we don't need are more laws saying we have to do this or that or Big Brother will get us.

I also agree with the suggestion to take a riders course. Money well spent

Ride safe

Bubba

Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 AM
IOMC Qball
Tourer

ORIGINAL: HD7585

Your kidding, Right

Not at all. Riders get over confident because they believe they will. If they did save lifes then why can't we wear them in autos? It just big brother and the insurance companies that want control. The insurance compaines know that manditory helment use lowers the number of regested motorcycles and states that repeal a helment law will have a large increase of registared riders.

I don't knock anyone who wants to wear a helment. It should be a choice.
That was part of my point...as some folks seem to take the stand thatif one wears a helmet they're "ok" or pretty well prepared in the event of a collision. The 14 lbs of pressure is a fact...I don't know about the "drop"list listed above...and I'm sure some helmets are made better than others ...but to be dot certified it's has to hold up to a minimum of the 14 lbs of pressure when applied. I normally wear a skid lid as protection for a"minor" spill should that be the case.The outer shell of a skid lidisn't any different than the shell on a dot.....the dot adds about 3/4 of an inch of styrofoam inside the helmet....but hey, if that brings you comfort...have at it. JMHO

Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 AM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

Then you should have no problem at all with your 13 year old son or daughter using a skid lid when riding behind you. I mean, why bother with a DOT or SNELL helmet, right? It's just a little extra styrofoam, right? Right?

<><Peace

Old 03-14-2007, 01:18 AM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

It's a choice. Even though Pennsy is anow a freestate, I still wear one most times cause the wife busts my ***** about it and hell, it could hurt a whole lot less if I do have it on.

Make up your own mind, don't let the opinion of others do it for you.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Katie
Elite HDF Member

From one who suffered a head injury due to a car wreck... I can onlywonder ifa helmet might have prevented some of the bs that screwed up several parts for the rest of my life... Given that thought,, I wouldn't ride the bike without one, even if I could. Better safer than sorrier...

So how do you feel about Seatbelt laws?????

Old 03-14-2007, 01:57 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Becoming a better Rider might!
Don't wear a helmet. That's up to you. You should have the choicebecause it's your head.But please don't insult the intelligence of people by saying a helment (sic)will not save a life. They do save lives of many people whose heads hit something during a wreck and common sense should be enough to convince any body that they do. Let's see, one quarter inch of hair (for some of us) bone and skin between the road and my brain compared to one to two inches of foam, nylon and fiberglass. Duh,I wonder which would bebetter? I'm typing this because I was wearing a helmet when I went airborne and my head hit a sign. It would have sliced my head like a tomato if I hadn't been wearing one. When's the last time you heard anybody bragging thattheir head hit a sign without a helmetand they lived to tell about it. Won't hear it 'cause they're dead.

I do agree with your last statement.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 98 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: IOMC Qball
but to be dot certified it's has to hold up to a minimum of the 14 lbs of pressure when applied.
The only place I see applied pressure is when they establish a reference plane for that helmet.

S6.2.2 Apply a 10-pound (4.5 kg) static vertical load through the helmet's apex. Center the helmet laterally and seat it firmly on the reference headform according to its helmet positioning index. S6.2.3 Maintaining the load and position described in S6.2.2, draw a line (hereinafter referred to as ``test line') on the outer surface of the helmet coinciding with portions of the intersection of that service with the following planes

Dot and Snell certification is determined by the drop test.

Prior to this testing the helmet is subjected to one of several enviroments. (a) Ambient conditions. Expose to a temperature of 70 deg.F(21 deg.C) and a relative humidity of 50 percent for 12 hours. (b) Low temperature. Expose to a temperature of 14 deg.F(-10 deg.C) for 12 hours. (c) High temperature. Expose to a temperature of 122 deg.F(50 deg.C) for 12 hours. (d) Water immersion. Immerse in water at a temperature of 77 deg.F(25 deg.C) for 12 hours.

S7.1.2 Each helmet is impacted at four sites with two successive identical impacts at each site. Two of these sites are impacted upon a flat steel anvil and two upon a hemispherical steel anvil as specified in S7.1.10 and S7.1.11

S7.1.4 (a) The guided free fall drop height for the helmet and test headform combination onto the hemispherical anvil shall be such that the minimum impact speed is 17.1 feet/second (5.2 m/sec). The minimum drop height is 54.5 inches (138.4 cm).

In addition to the drop test a penetration test is done also.

S7.2.1 The penetration test is conducted by dropping the penetration test striker in guided free fall, with its axis aligned vertically, onto the outer surface of the complete helmet, when mounted as specified in S6.3, at any point above the test line, described in S6.2.3, except on a fastener or other rigid projection. S7.2.2 Two penetration blows are applied at least 3 inches (7.6 cm) apart, and at least 3 inches (7.6 cm) from the centers of any impacts applied during the impact attenuation test. S7.2.3 The application of the two penetration blows, specified in S7.2.2, starts at two minutes and is completed by four minutes, after removal of the helmet from the conditioning environment. S7.2.4 The height of the guided free fall is 118.1 inches (3 m), as measured from the striker point to the impact point on the outer surface of the test helmet. S7.2.5 The contactable surface of the penetration test headform is constructed of a metal or metallic alloy having a Brinell hardness number no greater than 55, which will permit ready detection should contact by the striker occur. The surface is refinished if necessary before each penetration test blow to permit detection of contact by the striker. S7.2.6 The weight of the penetration striker is 6 pounds, 10 ounces (3 kg). S7.2.7 The point of the striker has an included angle of 60 deg., a cone height of 1.5 inches (3.8 cm), a tip radius of 0.02 inch (standard 0.5 millimeter radius) and a minimum hardness of 60 Rockwell, C-scale. S7.2.8 The rigid mount for the penetration test headform is as described in S7.1.11.

This site has test results for different manufacturers helmets.

Quick Reply: Another reason why I gave up my "Beanie" lid