General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freeways and Bumblebees

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 PM
leeanders
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Freeways and Bumblebees

Freeways and bumblebees – add a motorcycle to the mix and interesting things can happen. One summer afternoon in 1971, (in my younger days), living near Pasadena, California, I decided to take a solo bike ride from Pasadena to Azusa, then up the San Gabriel Canyon Road (Hwy 39), a Dead Inn road north up into the San Gabriel Mountains. It was a beautiful mountainous area in which to ride a motorcycle. At that time, Interstate10, approaching from the west, stopped just before reaching Pasadena. That freeway now is referred to as the Foothills Freeway and is numbered 210.

I was riding my first ‘four cycle’ engined motorcycle – it was a Honda CB350. They were pretty basic little bikes, no windshield, not much of a seat, and drum brakes. But, for me slowly moving my way up to larger displacement bikes, I thought that 350 was great!

On the way back toward Pasadena, on I-10, riding along about 65mph, I saw ahead what looked like a big butt bug coming directly at me. He and I both tried to miss the other, but at our closing speed – didn’t happen. It was a Bumblebee, I found out later, who collided with my top lip and disintegrated, all except his stinger which was repeatedly using my lip to vent his dying frustration with me for getting in his way.

Pulled off the freeway, and scraped away as much of him as I could manage. By the time I arrived home my top lip resembled a balloon. It was severe enough I had to go to the doctor. Because such a high concentration of venom had been injected, I was placed on prescription antihistamines for about five years following, due to a systemic allergic reaction. I was cautioned not to be around bees, as the next time; even a simple bee sting could possibly cause death, due to an anaphylactic reaction, where victims experience wheezing, difficulty breathing, and a drop in blood pressure that leads to shock if not treated promptly. Statistics indicate around 50 people are killed each year in the U.S. due to severe anaphylactic reactions to bee stings.

Still, for many years after that, I continued to ride motorcycles without fairings. In the 1980s, I bought my first bike with a windshield – can’t stand to ride without one now, but it was good back then – just wish that Bumblebee and taken another freeway!

Old 01-25-2014, 02:10 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

I like windshields too! Riding my '77 Superglide, got a big bumble bee up my t-shirt sleeve one day,stung me about 3 times before I could kill the damn thing.That's when I started cutting the sleeves off all my t-shirts.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

My best friend got a bumble be up his jacket sleeve
one morning, and it nailed him 5 times on the arm
before he could stop and get his jacket off. He locked
up his back tire, and as soon as he got stopped, "he
skipped the part where he was supposed to put the
kick stand down" jumped off his bike, and commenced to
getting out of that jacket in no uncertain terms, trying to
get separated from that bee. That was back in the mid to
later 70s, but some things you never forget.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
My best friend got a bumble be up his jacket sleeve
one morning, and it nailed him 5 times on the arm
before he could stop and get his jacket off. He locked
up his back tire, and as soon as he got stopped, "he
skipped the part where he was supposed to put the
kick stand down" jumped off his bike, and commenced to
getting out of that jacket in no uncertain terms, trying to
get separated from that bee. That was back in the mid to
later 70s, but some things you never forget.
It wasn't a bumblebee that got your friend.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
PHXBiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few months back riding about 70 down the freeway, I hit a swarm (a frequent event here in AZ with our Africanized bees when they move). I didn't know for sure what I hit at the time, I was just pelted. Probably 75-100 bees hit my fairing, jeans, jacket and thankfully my face shield I was wearing with my helmet. Very thankful for the face shield.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by leeanders
... I was cautioned not to be around bees, as the next time; even a simple bee sting could possibly cause death, due to an anaphylactic reaction...
It is fine to caution you not to be around bees, but, since they can fly they can easily be around you.

If your doctors truly feel that you would suffer an anaphylactic reaction from a bee sting, have they ever prescribed you an epinephrine autoinjector (Epipen)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine_autoinjector

http://www.epipen.com/?utm_medium=cp...=2&ENG=1&CPN=1

Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Curious. Why not?
If it is because of the multiple stings, bumblebees can do it, w/out killing themselves (they have no barbs in the stinger).

Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Highlux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not riding...but I got a wasp sting on the lip once...I feel your pain. Felt like someone punched me in the mouth.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Yeah I thought about that as well about bees loosing there
stingers as well but that is what my friend said it was so I went with it.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:43 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I got a bee in the neck a couple months ago. Missed my artery by about half an inch.

Quick Reply: Freeways and Bumblebees