General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling through Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:53 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used my U. S. debit & credit cards in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia. They work the same there as they do here IF you advise the bank that you'll be traveling & to expect some "unusual activity".

Bank of America once stopped my Visa card because their computers red flagged it as being used suspiciously.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 04-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
+1, if you go on 401, 403, or any other 400 series highway, be prepared for combat. I have been to Chicago, Detroit, NYC, New Orleans, Dallas, no comparison. The ******* factor is higher in Toronto, I know I live here.

The rest of the country is beautiful, just avoid Toronto.
double ditto dat...

Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK
Here's another question. We'll be traveling through there the week of the 4th of July, I'm thinking Canada doesn't acknowledge our holiday, so I figure it will be business as usual, and all the Harley shops will be open during this week.
Thanks Jonnierock
have a good trip.....btw your dlr is worth about 1.10 cdn now......so 10 points is not too shabby.....but things are more pricey up here..

Last edited by sonoffatboy; 04-07-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts

Canadian Tire Money is the best way to go

I didn't read the whole thread to see if this was addressed but I would get with your cell phone company to see what you can workout for your time in the great white north.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Sullivan
Canadian Tire Money is the best way to go

I didn't read the whole thread to see if this was addressed but I would get with your cell phone company to see what you can workout for your time in the great white north.
That crappy tire money don't lure me inside anymore. Just like walking into a Harbor Freight.
Good idea on the cell plans. They want 8 bucks/day from me when i go south and never take it, but you guys heading into Canada get much better deals, i bet.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
I've used my U. S. debit & credit cards in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia. They work the same there as they do here IF you advise the bank that you'll be traveling & to expect some "unusual activity".

Bank of America once stopped my Visa card because their computers red flagged it as being used suspiciously.
Funny, I have that happen alllll the time. Not as much as it used to, because I think the security systems "learn" what's normal and abnormal for each person. The calls always go the same for me, though.

Bank: "Sir, we noticed some suspicious activity on your card. Looks like there was a charge at TGI Friday's last night in Birmingham, Starbucks this morning in Chicago, Subway this afternoon in Buffalo, and Buffalo Wild Wings in Harrisburg about an hour ago."
Me: "Yep, just another day at work. Now, can you please turn my card backbone?"

Wash, rinse, repeat in a few months.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Sauceman
Road Master

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK
I have some questions about traveling through Canada. When traveling in Canada, do they have pay at the pump gas stations, and if so, do they accept visa and master cards ? We'll probably enter up by Thunder bay and travel east along the southern most part of Ontario and enter back into the US in northern New York somewhere. Are there any must see places or roads to ride along this route.
Thanks in advance Jonnierock
As it has been said, most if not all gas pumps in Canada use credit and debit cards. And generally speaking if paying inside you can fill up first then pay, only in some larger urban centres you'll find that they want the money first.

As far as places to see, Wasaga Beach is nice, lots to see in Toronto such as the CN Tower, museums, Toronto Zoo the list goes on. Once past Toronto heading East I suggest stopping in Kingston, lots of history.

I live in Napanee which is just 30 miles West of Kingston. Let me know when your riding by if you need anything.

Originally Posted by rideflhr
I went up across the Macinac bridge and then across to ontario and down past Niagara.I used my cards as much as possible because they all try to screw you on the exchange rate.They all would have gladly taken USD.
I took a gun and told no one. I have tried to take all the good rides available in US and almost all were better than Canada.They were jerkoffs at the border and told me I couldnt take photos of the crossing. I did it anyway and mentioned Google Earth.
In the less populated areas their std of living was pretty sucky.Some guy I met told me US people dont have to pay tolls. After being home awhile they sent me threating bills with interest.Crappy food.Expensive everything. Once was enough. The scenery around my home in E.TN, West.NC, and N. GA is much,much,better.
If you just want to be rude and not tip,it's a good place to get even.
Dude, really? I don't believe half of what you said, and question the other half.

cheers

Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sauceman

I live in Napanee which is just 30 miles West of Kingston. Let me know when your riding by if you need anything. cheers
Way to go. I'd help anyone as well, but wouldn't be of much help in case of Emergency, since we don't have a "contact" forum with phone nr's on here.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Sauceman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pete6114
Way to go. I'd help anyone as well, but wouldn't be of much help in case of Emergency, since we don't have a "contact" forum with phone nr's on here.

When the time comes a quick PM and he'll have my number

I also have a trailer with ramp for emergencies.

cheers

Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sauceman
When the time comes a quick PM and he'll have my number

I also have a trailer with ramp for emergencies.

cheers
That works only if i happened to be online at this forum. Otherwise i wouldn't be of much help if i see a PM hours later. Maybe a list of people somewhere on here, that are available to help others would benefit us all.
No clue if that was talked about before and never picked up speed or was of no interest. Something for the Admins to consider......

Quick Reply: Traveling through Canada