General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM recalls millions, why not HD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:43 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Honda or Suzuki has never had a recall on all its poorly designed stuff. Like water pumps, starter switches or clutches.
try again.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/recalls/
http://powersports.honda.com/recall-information.aspx

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,635 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
GM (or any other manufacturer) does not voluntarily recall their products. It's mandated by the feds after much research into accidents, injuries and deaths. The vehicle makers normally put up a big fight to oppose any recall. Recalls are very costly and hurt the image of the brand.
We all expect the MOCO to do the right thing by its loyal owners when such a potentially dangerous condition exists. That doesn't always happen as fast as it should. What HD should do, if they haven't already, is to issue a service bulletin to fix the problem. I don't know where they draw the line as to how many people have to get hurt until they act, but these are corporate lawyers and accountants making those decisions.
They did issue a service bulletin. TT418

Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
GM (or any other manufacturer) does not voluntarily recall their products. It's mandated by the feds after much research into accidents, injuries and deaths. The vehicle makers normally put up a big fight to oppose any recall. Recalls are very costly and hurt the image of the brand.
We all expect the MOCO to do the right thing by its loyal owners when such a potentially dangerous condition exists. That doesn't always happen as fast as it should. What HD should do, if they haven't already, is to issue a service bulletin to fix the problem. I don't know where they draw the line as to how many people have to get hurt until they act, but these are corporate lawyers and accountants making those decisions.
100% wrong!

Many times (but not always) manufactures will announce a voluntary recall. This GM recall was voluntary. It was late (hell, they should have fixed the problem sometime in the first couple years), but it was voluntary. Which is not to say that the government would not have forced GM had they have not done it.

Actually I'm not sure that the government can actually force a manufacturer to issue a recall. At least not the way we think when we say "force". They can sue, they can hold hearings, they can refuse permits, but I don't think they can actually require a manufacturer have a recall per se.

There are several articles that explain how GM was careful not to make the same mistakes that Toyota made...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...oyota/5844461/

Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,537 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by hover
Quite a few owners of these bikes have experienced the bike suddenly going into limp mode for no apparent reason. It just means that it goes to idle and you have no throttle. Unless you reset the ecm, you will only be able to basicly idle your bike. This can happen any time at any speed. I think there may be a service bulletin out that says the contact pins in the connector pull back or corrode due to vibration or something like that. The quick fix is to pull the connector apart and use some dielectric grease on it. Apparently this helps somewhat. Its happened to me twice. Other recalls on the bike are for the rear brake light switch, tank bracket and front tire.
Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of the limp issue. My wife has seen it occasionally...But seriously, thanks for that info.. I have had the other 3 issues addressed, but I will follow your advise with the DE grease. Stay safe.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Harley recalls only when there is an established safety related item that needs correcting. Harley is not about to say that this is a safety related problem. They do admit that it is a problem though. See or google HD bulletin TT418A for the explanation and fix.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:39 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bingee
Harley recalls only when there is an established safety related item that needs correcting. Harley is not about to say that this is a safety related problem. They do admit that it is a problem though. See or google HD bulletin TT418A for the explanation and fix.
Mmm, if they admit to the problem, I wonder why they wouldnt see it as a safety problem. If my chevy looses all power/throttle its safety, but not if my Harley dies at speed. I guess people have to get hurt or die on their bikes just like some GM owners have. Thanks for the bulletin #. Ride safe.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Nitschke
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If GM has to recall all of these cars for the ignition key turning off by itself, why doesn't Harley have to recall the touring bikes that are subject to going into limp mode. Harley knows about the pins fretting in the connector behind the throttle body, but does nothing about it! Mine has done it twice, luckily not at 80mph on a busy interstate. Anybody else see this as problem? Rant over!
You do realize that GM's ignition problems cause the vehicle to suddenly and unexpectedly accelerate.

Which is quite different than "going limp".

Old 03-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Nitschke
Advanced

Mmm, if they admit to the problem, I wonder why they wouldnt see it as a safety problem. If my chevy looses all power/throttle its safety, but not if my Harley dies at speed. I guess people have to get hurt or die on their bikes just like some GM owners have. Thanks for the bulletin #. Ride safe.
When has GM had a recall for losing power/throttle?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Nitschke
Advanced

Originally Posted by PFWiz
100% wrong!

Many times (but not always) manufactures will announce a voluntary recall. This GM recall was voluntary. It was late (hell, they should have fixed the problem sometime in the first couple years), but it was voluntary. Which is not to say that the government would not have forced GM had they have not done it.

Actually I'm not sure that the government can actually force a manufacturer to issue a recall. At least not the way we think when we say "force". They can sue, they can hold hearings, they can refuse permits, but I don't think they can actually require a manufacturer have a recall per se.

There are several articles that explain how GM was careful not to make the same mistakes that Toyota made...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...oyota/5844461/
Finally, somebody that knows what they are talking about. If the NHTSA forces a recall it's a really bad thing. I think they tried to do it with Jeep last year but Jeep fought them in court on the issue.

Last edited by Nitschke; 03-01-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't Harley volunteer a recall on their new liquid cooled engines to Fix the boiling issue. Obviously Harley issued a bulletin regarding the pin connector and I'm sure this issue would be covered under warranty.

If my throttle stopped working, I'd simply pull the clutch and move to the side of the road. Not sure this poses a major safety issue. This is the same thing that would happen with any mechanical issue with your bike.... pull the clutch and go to the side of the road.

Sudden acceleration.. that's a different story.

Quick Reply: GM recalls millions, why not HD?