General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Apps for IPhones

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

TomTom - reliable, up-to-date mapping, and no reliance on a data signal for it to work, because all maps are on board the phone. Works with Bluetooth if that floats your boat, or plugged into the stereo by old means or new. Also, it mutes the tunes for directions and then winds them back up. I have UK & Ireland, Europe and the US/Canada apps and they have never let me down. I will be adding Soutern Africa soon before I go visit my daughter in Cape Town.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Waze. Even tells you where police, road hazards, traffic, and red light cameras are in real time.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^ That right there. Waze is awesome (as long as everyone else is playing along nicely) I spend a lot of time on the road in my service truck and when I'm trying to get to a drilling rig a couple hours away, knowing that there is a traffic back up or an accident ahead really helps.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

I suggest you get an Android!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:31 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
Navfree USA or Canada, free app no network required.

http://www.navmii.com
^^ This is the one I use. I like it. MP3s play throught, it's free, doesn't use data, and gives voice prompts.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

How does mp3 play? What kind of setup do you have, I am interested.
I cross the us border riding all the time, most GPS require data I cannot use. I can take my iphone anywhere I want without using data, great app!

Originally Posted by craigffb
^^ This is the one I use. I like it. MP3s play throught, it's free, doesn't use data, and gives voice prompts.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
How does mp3 play? What kind of setup do you have, I am interested.
I cross the us border riding all the time, most GPS require data I cannot use. I can take my iphone anywhere I want without using data, great app!
You go to the quick menu when your on the map...the one that looks like the gear, and you start the mp3s within the app running that way it cuts the volum down when the prompts come on. I use it on my Street Glide so there is the whole stereo thing on that bike. Never used it on the Bob.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:59 PM
italianprincess70
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google maps for me!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 AM
wuaname
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slozomby
well the harley road planner exists for ios. but no realtime navigation option.

several of the apps will do multipoint routing but always based on direct address input. altho there are instructions on how to convert the gpx files from harley ride planner (pc version) to navigon format.

the apps that directly read gpx and kml files dont provide voice guidance, but you can follow your route on an overhead view.
That pretty much answered my question... but want to confirm... So HD road planner is pretty much useless as a stand alone app? You need to either export it to a gps as a gpx file or write down the directions like our parents used to do back in the day with no gps?

I have saved some rides and was hoping to use turn by turn with my iphone hd rideplanner app, any way of doing this with the iphone?

I have an older Garmin Nuvi (about 2 years old), I should be able to still import the gpx files to it? Is there a step by step around any one knows of or can you give me an idea how to do this?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:52 AM
sarpeezy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't believe Waze was only recommended twice so far

Really can't say enough about it, you just have to download it and try it for one day

Quick Reply: GPS Apps for IPhones