General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 AM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You lost me at the color's I hate the sand (deployment) colors love the big blue. I seriously lust after the almost any bike with that big blue. As to the Fat Bob, I like the bigger heavier front tire and the dual disks up front. The RK, as I have said is the best "do anything bike" Harley makes at the moment.

I own an Ultra because at the time I was riding a lot of Cal highway miles and very little, if any city miles. Now that I'm stationed in NJ I've come to do 180deg's of that sort of riding. Almost all town, city, GSP, there are times the touring frame gets to be a monster in the city.

So this brings up back full circle... the better question is are you simply looking at a RK because you want something new to MATCH your riding style? OR do you simply want something new without considering your riding style?

If it was me I would keep the Fat Bob, I would end up taking a bath on trade and hate dealing with "tire kickers".

Best of luck a lot to consider, let us know how it works out.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

This is kind of like noticing a fine looking lady in the church as you walk out with your new wife. Give it some time to get past the lusting for the RK - no rash decisions. Ride your Bob this summer and think more about why you want a RK..besides the pretty colors.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:42 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

The FLH's are pretty and comfortable but "full bodied" machines...
Both bikes are less than 1/2" difference in wheelbase and have big tires at both ends but the steering geometry is different; as is the curb weight. I've spent days on Road Kings and Road Glides trying to like 'em, but am very happy with my Fat Bob...it suits MY riding style much better. Tough decision's sometimes, but it is about what pleases you most when you ride

Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by dansax
Biggest question is what kind riding do you or are you planning to do? I basically bar hop or take short (50 mile one way) day trips around Long Island with some friends. When I retire in a few years I plan on adding a touring bike. Also if you just want change, screw it, you don't need our opinion. I would sell it privately before trading it in, unless you get a killer deal. Good luck on your choice.

I moved from a Fat Bob to my current Street Glide, just for the reasons you listed.
I really did like the Fat Bob though, but it just wasn't as nice for long distance 2-up riding.

HD makes different models and styles of motorcycles for a reason.
Buy the one that fits your needs, and you will only have to do it once.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Emax
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
It would be financially irresponsible to take a bath on your FB upgrades. Keep it and buy the RK. You'll just have to bite the bullet and ride more to justify em both.
Hey guys thanks for all the replays everyone make good points so here is my reasoning on getting a RK. I would like to travel more but with kids it hard to get away as much as I like so I am stuck at one or two trips a year. On the other hand I would like to try and get my wife out more on local rides and that would be more of the RK instead of the FB. She has been on the FB but not for long rides. The short rides she has been on with the small seat she can't relax giving me a bear hug for 10 miles until we stop so I was hoping the bigger seat and back rest would change that. also I would like to take my kids to as they are getting older and I think my wife would feel better if they are on the bigger bike. We'll taking with the wife I am thinking of keeping the FB and buying the RK keeping both of the for a year to see witch one I like better and selling one in a year or two I am working out number to see if I can swing it. What do you guys think let me know. Thanks

Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like buying the RK with the intention of possibly selling it in a year is a bad choice. You would loose a lot of cash. Buy a used one and let someone else take the initial hit.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Emax
Advanced

Originally Posted by dansax
Sounds like buying the RK with the intention of possibly selling it in a year is a bad choice. You would loose a lot of cash. Buy a used one and let someone else take the initial hit.
yes you are rite but if I trade in the FB I am losing anyway and if I really don't like the RK or I don't use it as I intended I am going to wish I had my FB back and I will lose on the RK trading that one in for something else. Now if I have both I can make up my mind and hopefully minimize my loses. On the other hand if I love the RK I can probably sell the FB next year for more then they are giving me now for it and I have the best of both world and if the wife forgets about the deal we made maybe I will keep both who knows.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Emax
Advanced

[QUOTE=Emax;12547021]yes you are rite but if I trade in the FB I am losing anyway and if I really don't like the RK or I don't use it as I intended I am going to wish I had my FB back and I will lose on the RK trading that one in for something else. Now if I have both I can make up my mind and hopefully minimize my loses. On the other hand if I love the RK I can probably sell the FB next year for more then they are giving me now for it and I have the best of both world and if the wife forgets about the deal we made maybe I will keep both who knows.[/QUOTE

As you can see I love buying things but hate to get rid of them if i can afford it why not you only live once.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The Road King is just as capable of riding in town as it is out on the highway. Anyone saying the RK is too big and cumbersome to ride in city traffic has never ridden a RK. Either that, or they don't know how to ride.

Get what you want. But your wife will be way more happy on a Road King than she is now.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM
wilsoda
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went from a Fat Bob to a Street Glide Special. For me the factors were doing more long distance rides and my wife selling her Sporty so more two up riding. I agree with slozomby you should rent a RK to decide if it is worth it to you. I was expecting the SGS to be feel much heavier, but I think it actually turns a bit quicker ( less rake? or could be in my head). Made the switch a week ago and only have 200 miles on it, but after roaming around looking for challenging places like gravel lots, tight parking decks, stops on side hills and ice (wasn't looking for ice) and haven't found a situation where the Fat Bob would have been better.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob or Road King