General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing inspection at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:46 PM
soniccbr
Tourer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer gives you free inspections to get you there and then hit you with every repair they can charge you for...

Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Move to a state with no inspections.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for those who think a PA inspection is less than $20.00 you'd be wrong. There is no set maximum price for inspections and most places charge around $50.00 to do a motorcycle. A little more for automotive with emissions.

Yah, $50.00 isn't the end of the world but... if I can take it to the dealer and have it pass, then why not save the money.

Also, Nevil, you wonder why a dealer would fail bikes/cars that are illegal. If a person is caught passing illegal bikes, the business loses it's permit to do inspections and the person(s) caught are subject to two years in jail and/or a 50,000 fine.

However, I did call Keystone HD directly and the service rep said I wouldn't fail. We all know how crap changes once you're there so we'll see. I'll run it up tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by nevil
Like you said, you have to ask them, not us. I find it hard to believe a dealer is going to fail every bike that comes in with aftermarket pipes. They would be wasting a lot of time, seeing how they aren't charging for the inspection.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM
mountain man
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zyonsdream
Well for those who think a PA inspection is less than $20.00 you'd be wrong. There is no set maximum price for inspections and most places charge around $50.00 to do a motorcycle. A little more for automotive with emissions.

Yah, $50.00 isn't the end of the world but... if I can take it to the dealer and have it pass, then why not save the money.

Also, Nevil, you wonder why a dealer would fail bikes/cars that are illegal. If a person is caught passing illegal bikes, the business loses it's permit to do inspections and the person(s) caught are subject to two years in jail and/or a 50,000 fine.

However, I did call Keystone HD directly and the service rep said I wouldn't fail. We all know how crap changes once you're there so we'll see. I'll run it up tomorrow morning.
Anywhere from 20 to 25 bucks, unless you get a dealer to do it. Better off with an independent.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by zyonsdream
I've worked for car and bike dealerships in PA since the 70's so I'm fully aware why a dealer would pass an illegal vehicle.
What I was saying is that there are probably a lot of bikes that come in for inspection that have been modified. If a dealer was offering free inspections but would only pass the bikes that were completely stock they would be wasting a lot of their and the customer's time. Their intent would be to retain customers for future service and parts, so they would want to be as lenient as possible when doing the inspection and keep the people satisfied.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 204 Posts

Wow, and I was mad when Va raised the inspection prices from $12 to $16!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the bike passed this morning. I had a conversation with the service manager and he basically told me that they do not have any set policies on what passes and what doesn't. It comes down to the individual inspector.

If the bike has something that doesn't pass what's in the book, the inspector has the right to fail it and the manager will support their decision. If they pass something that isn't right, the state can pull their driver's license, revoke their ability to do inspections and fine them a crap load of money.

One thing I learned is that inspection plates are illegal in PA. I don't have one but I was thinking about getting one so I wouldn't have my sticker on my front fork.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 734 Posts

Glad you got it done. I go to an indie for my inspections and he puts the sticker on the left downtube. It's not as obvious as the fork leg.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take my bike to the metric indy for state inspection.