General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing your Motorcycle: DIY or Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 AM
ijustwant2ride
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 Bike

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Do the work yourself and keep good records.
Just wondering, your bike is an '08 and you're just now asking this question?
I was not really asking the question for myself. It was more just rhetorical question with my answer. I have seen so may of these type of discussions that I just wanted to though my 2 cents in, and state why I use the dealership.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:31 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I also did all my work on my HD's. No more, to much electrical crap. I take it to my 'Trusted' HD dealership without any worries & either wait or pick it up later in the day.
Plus, it get washed!!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by RGBobD
Looking at my warranty paperwork, it says that the receipt, date, time, MILEAGE, and type of work, must be documented and kept in the owners records for all maintenance and service work done.

I don't see words "certified mechanic" anywhere.
The warranty is NOT affected by who does the work as long as it gets performed, on time, and performed correctly. So if you like doing it go ahead and do it yourself. If you're afraid you'll screw it up, don't do it.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,511 Likes on 4,145 Posts

Originally Posted by zyonsdream
I'll NEVER take any vehicle or motorcycle to another person for maintenance or repair if I can help it. This is especially true for motorcycles. I'm not a particularly trusting person anyway and if my bike fails due to poor mechanical work, it will be my own fault.
THAT!!! That way, I know it's done, and done right....and I keep my money.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:50 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my last brand new Harley in 1989, an FXRS. Actually needed to have it repaired, under warranty--something had come loose in the primary. My last two Harley's I bought, used, and have done all the maintenance, myself, except for 1 tire replacement while on a long trip. It's not likely that I'll ever buy another new bike (or truck), so warranty is not applicable.

Advice to anyone buying a Harley with existing/remaining warranty, and wanting to do his own maintenance:
Buy the factory service, parts and diagnostics manuals.
Keep a log book and receipts pertaining to every expense and service incurred or performed (I include fuel stops).
Follow the service, fuel and lubricant guidelines in the owners manual.
Consider used oil analysis.
Leave the motor stock.

It cannot hurt to keep a printed or digital file of photos documenting any major required service performed.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Do the work yourself and keep good records.
Just wondering, your bike is an '08 and you're just now asking this question?
How do you "record" that something was properly adjusted, inspected, lubed, torqued, or even replaced? Just because you have a receipt that you purchased a filter or something like that doesn't mean you installed it. Maybe you returned it the next day. How do you prove you actually adjusted the belt or that you did it properly?

Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadking2000
How do you "record" that something was properly adjusted, inspected, lubed, torqued, or even replaced?...
By keeping a log book and receipts.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lo-rider
By keeping a log book and receipts.
Like I said, how does a log book prove you actually did anything? I could have a problem, then sit down and write a log of all the scheduled stuff. Like I said before, just because you wrote it down doesn't mean you did it or that you did it correctly. What receipt do you get when you check the tension on your belt? What do you have when you torque something and what do you have that says you did it correctly? A week or 2 ago a guy on here removed his clutch cable because he didn't like the way it was routed. It was working just fine. He started a thread because now he can't get his bike in gear or shift. He stretched the cable and a bunch of other stupid things getting it out. I guess a log book would solve his problem if he turned his non shifting bike in for warranty work?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:24 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

If you insist on being dense, try proving it without the log book and receipts.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:43 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lo-rider
If you insist on being dense, try proving it without the log book and receipts.
I'm not being dense. I'm being realistic. I just can't see how you saying you did it proves anything. What kind of receipt do you get for all the required inspections, adjustments, etc. You seem to be under the opinion that if you said you did it and wrote it down, then it WAS done and it was done correctly. The guy I mentioned is a perfect example of some of the type of maintenance a lot of guys on here do. If the MOCO or whoever wants to fight your warranty claim on something you did all the service on, I wouldn't think they would have a real hard time bashing the hell out of your claim. What are you going to do? Point at your log and say "but I wrote it all down right here"? To me, all that log proves is that you wrote it down. My feeling is that if you are doing your own work, that's fine. Great! BUT, when it comes to a warranty claim on something you serviced, you should and probably will be on your own. You may get by with oil changes and some simple tasks like that, but I wouldn't put to much faith in getting a good outcome if something serious happened and they could claim you over torqued, didn't adjust properly or something like that.

Quick Reply: Servicing your Motorcycle: DIY or Dealership?