General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local dealer matched Kutter on ESP

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballcoach31
Mine did as well. I went with Kutter. I couldn't believe that I got the price I got. $1300 with wheel and tire, 5 years. Good luck.
Kutter quoted me $1279 without Wheel just a few weeks ago (before they suddenly took the deal off the table)

I sat on the deal and did not pull the trigger on it......Yeah I was pissed, I am fortunate my dealer almost matched it without me bringing it up. I don't know if he knew Harley out the squeeze on Kutter. I doubt it. Or maybe he did and was in a good mood or had not sold any in awhile. Who knows. but I feel alot better about hanging on to the bike now for a longer term.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Thats not a bad price for six with wheel. I don't understand the need for wheel and tire when one can get better tires for less money than Dunlops. After a tire is worn the wheel and tire does not pay. Protects a newish tire well enough.

I would probably get it with laced wheels though. they can be a pain in the *** and an "instant tow" if a screw is picked up.
Within 30 days I picked up a nail in the front tire and the dealer installed a brand new tire at no charge. tires are covered for damage down to 3/32 of tread depth.

Not that I would do this but I do know someone that has the wheel and tire and he keeps an eye on his tread depth and when a tire starts to get thin he makes sure he picks up a nail or screw and gets a new tire.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:48 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dusturbd
Within 30 days I picked up a nail in the front tire and the dealer installed a brand new tire at no charge. tires are covered for damage down to 3/32 of tread depth.

Not that I would do this but I do know someone that has the wheel and tire and he keeps an eye on his tread depth and when a tire starts to get thin he makes sure he picks up a nail or screw and gets a new tire.
Yeah I would not do that.

Yeah shyte like that happens but I can afford to replace a $176 Michelin Commander II tire and likely don't want Harley's idea of a tire next time around. I asked my Indy first if he had a Michelin size for this bike and he said yes. So I decided to pass on the Wheel and tire and put that money towards the tires I prefer if or when the time comes.

Tire and wheel was another $200 so I would have to pick up two nails and want Dunlops to make it worth my while. Have not had that happen in the last four years twice and I Never needed a wheel on any bike ever. Nor will I cheat the system.

I rode my last bike with a string plug in it until I needed tires. They work fine nowadays. Been using them for years. If they fail they fail slowly and can be replugged. Plugs are why I don't buy spoked wheels unless they are tubeless.

Front tires I would replace before plugging but they are less than $200 Installed. Michelin CII for the front is $120.

Overall when buying Insurance , I insure against catastrophe rather than inconvenience. The ESP will come in very handy if and when I decide to sell the bike and get something else. I think a buyer would love a bike with a year or two left on a Harley ESP and Still get more than trade value at the time. Not to mention I may actually use it for a bearing or something.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

yeah I carry the plugs with me at all times I plugged the hole long enough to get to the dealer a week later. I have no complaints with the Dunlops on the new scot so no reason not to let them deal with it.

and I know my luck with nails and screws that will not be the last time I get a tire replaced because of one LOL

Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dusturbd
yeah I carry the plugs with me at all times I plugged the hole long enough to get to the dealer a week later. I have no complaints with the Dunlops on the new scot so no reason not to let them deal with it.

and I know my luck with nails and screws that will not be the last time I get a tire replaced because of one LOL
You can ride on plugs a long time. I have never read of anyone going down because of a plugged tire. They make them to last. If they do fail it's usually a slow leak. and the hole has to be reamed out and plugged again.

Catastrophic plug failures are not something I have ever experienced or heard of. I don;t care for Dunlops. Thats why I did not buy the wheel. I like Metz and Michelin. I prefer a sticky tire over a longer lasting one.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Yeah shyte like that happens but I can afford to replace a $176 Michelin Commander II tire and likely don't want Harley's idea of a tire next time around.
I got the tire and wheel on my Limited, dealer says I can run any brand of tire and the ESP will cover up to the cost of the Dunlops. I have Metzelers on now and switching to Michelin soon.