General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First poker run yesterday ended badly

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
No disrespect intended. I think people are just trying to piece together what might have happened to cause such a tragic and unexpected accident with an experienced rider. It's not morbid curiosity, it's people trying to make sense of the senseless and see if there are any important lessons to be learned.
Exactly. Showing "respect" and "decency" by posting RIPs for a day or two, and then carrying on without any long-lasting impression from the poor guy's death is no respect at all in my opinion. Respect for his death comes from learning from the accident so that the loss of his life helps others to keep theirs.

If we can understand the circumstances that led to his death, and that prevents someone else from suffering the same fate, then his death has not been pointless and meaningless. And that necessarily involves asking questions that might imply that the guy may have made some poor decisions.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:47 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,173 Likes on 1,934 Posts
Old 05-18-2014, 12:20 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I was riding down the mountain this afternoon and seen a couple guys and their bikes at the crash site. One had his back to me as I cruised by and I recognised their colors. So I pulled a u-turn cruised up to them to express my condolences. They thanked me for stopping and wished me a safe ride. Seemed like good guys. I couldn't help feeling bad for them.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:57 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Very sad situation.

Group ridding has its own set of dangers associated with it, please keep that in mind on your next run.

My condolences for a fallen cyclist who could have had any issues from mechanical to medical or just ran off the road in a curve.

SEE, vigilance and again condolences to his family. RIP brother.

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 05-18-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:59 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

I met his friend Ray at a little RFTW flag waving event we did here last Wednesday, he said the funeral is set for this coming Tuesday but haven't seen any details yet.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:48 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,173 Likes on 1,934 Posts

misread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
misread
the flyer is for a benefit dinner for his kids and gf, thank you for posting the link..

Old 06-22-2016, 12:43 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would post some updated info I heard just recently on this crash my wife and I assisted in a couple years ago. Talking with a friend recently who knows the deceased riders family and it turns out he had an aneurysm. He had been having terrible headaches the week before. Not much you can do about that. The crash wasn't from anything he did wrong while riding.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:11 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckw2
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would post some updated info I heard just recently on this crash my wife and I assisted in a couple years ago. Talking with a friend recently who knows the deceased riders family and it turns out he had an aneurysm. He had been having terrible headaches the week before. Not much you can do about that. The crash wasn't from anything he did wrong while riding.
Interesting. Thanks for the update.

That happened to a neighbor of mine some years ago. Healthy young man. Early 30's. Driving down a major road (four lane, divided) in town when "SNAP"! The aneurysm hit and it was all over from there. He ended up stuffing his car into a pole, but the doctors said he was dead (or at least as good as dead) before the impact.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:29 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow,
Just read this thread and such a tragedy for the rider, his family, and loved ones.
Not familiar with an aneurysm and what it can do to you. Is it like a blood clot traveling to the brain? Massive heart attack? Instant brain shutdown?
So sad, he had symptoms earlier with the massive headaches. Another lesson that any unusual symptoms should be checked out, no matter what, just to be sure.
Makes sense as he rode straight into the side of the mountain....no brakes, skid marks, swerving, nothing.

Quick Reply: First poker run yesterday ended badly