General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change engine start up knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:52 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a fan of bumping the starter to pressure up the system. Oil the filter as much as possible. Start the bike while letting it idle at its cold idle mark should not cause excessive wear. While the bike oil pressure comes up. That is what your dealers mechanic would do.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:51 PM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Do what I do...let a pro do it. There's no way I'd do it myself, not a brand new bike.
Do you really think the mechanic that changes your oil really cares if it knocks at start up or fills your filter during the change?

As mentioned by several, fill your filter with oil and let it set for several minutes. Yes you will lose a little oil but enough will stay in the filter to keep the pump from having to fill the dry filter after startup.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:36 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I fill my filter to the top and let it sit a few minuets..all the oil get sucked up into the element...been doing it this way on all my vehicles for 40 years.
This. The trick is to let it sit a little to allow oil to get through the filter element.
I fill 2/3 of it.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:09 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

I would think that an oil saturated element could make it more difficult for air to pass through. Also, I believe a wet oil filter could tend to trap air bubbles, which may require more time under pressure to eliminate them. Having a wet element in a partially filled filter, is not a good idea IMHO.
This is some funny stuff right here...

Old 05-24-2014, 06:26 AM
WildX
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a 1 liter empty plastic soda bottle cut off the bottom. It fits perfectly around the oil filter, and can be used to remove/install the new one without getting oil all over the place.

Make sure you keep the bottle cap on. Daaaa

Old 05-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Def Mute
When you fill your filter before installing it...

I would think that an oil saturated element could make it more difficult for air to pass through. Also, I believe a wet oil filter could tend to trap air bubbles, which may require more time under pressure to eliminate them. Having a wet element in a partially filled filter, is not a good idea IMHO.
I spoke to a Dealer Service Department and the Service Tech stated not to fill the oil filter after draining the entire system. With a partial filled oil filter system, air pockets will cause the system to take longer to fill the filter than if the oil filter was empty. The Operators Manual also says to leave the oil filter empty. The Service Tech stated that it is normal to hear knocking during the first 45 seconds after start up.

Your thoughts about trapped air bubbles causing the oil to take more time sounds like it does have merrit.

With my 2007 96 inch I never once heard a knocking sound after start up when I filled the oil filter during an oil change. If it is normal to hear the knocking, I will still be uneasy listening to something I was always taught to hope to never hear.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:31 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

+ Ranger73.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

I had the 1000 mile service done today and had the tech let me listen to the start up after the oil was changed. The engine started with only a slight tappet tick sound opposed to the loud knocking noise I heard during the 500 mile oil change. The tech did fill the oil filter prior to installing it. The tech did state he believes that a cylinder was on the compression stroke when I started it during the 500 mile oil change which produced a louder than usual tappet tick noise. Hopefully I won't ever hear that loud knock again during an after oil change start up. Time will tell.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My manual says fill the filter with 4oz. Funny thing is it says to add the oil to the filter for the same reason the people say to not add it say.

I go with the manual. I have heard other bikes start with a dry filter. The air people are worried about with a partialy filled filter, well there will be even more air if you install it dry.......derr.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:31 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My Deuce has 36K & I have changed the oil 9 times. During those times I have prefilled the filter except for a couple times. I disconnect the plugs (not grounded, never a problem with ECM bty), crank it until oil light goes out.
I can tell you for a fact that when the filter was dry it took about 6 seconds longer for it to go out. That being said, in the great scheme of things I don't think it will make any difference at all in engine longevity, but I do it anyway, gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Quick Reply: Oil change engine start up knock