General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, is that guy gonna stop....er, no!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:29 PM
AHH
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never paid much attention to drivers in my six until getting the bike... looked at the cars but rarely the drivers. Now, I watch the drivers and seems an alarming number are looking down when stopping behind me... Makes me nervous.

Glad it wasn't more serious for you.

Andy

Old 05-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Dwala
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you came out pretty much alright. I do the same routine at traffic lights, I have seen too many close calls and been right beside a nice rear-end collision at a light not to.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:37 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,499 Likes on 638 Posts

Glad you're OK! Great job paying attention and executing to minimize the impact.

I'm always watching my 6 when stopped. I'm in the habit now that when I see an approaching car, no matter how slow or fast they're going, I let off the brake and re-apply. My BAL-1 does the "2 flashes then constant" routine. This really gets their attention and I've seen several cars hit their brakes hard. I think the BAL or similar brake light should be standard equipment.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:52 PM
echorton
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I'm always watching my 6 when stopped. I'm in the habit now that when I see an approaching car, no matter how slow or fast they're going, I let off the brake and re-apply. My BAL-1 does the "2 flashes then constant" routine. This really gets their attention and I've seen several cars hit their brakes hard. I think the BAL or similar brake light should be standard equipment."

+1

Glad you are ok!

Last edited by echorton; 05-30-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:53 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alii1959

About that time a man in a truck pulled up and called the kid a few choice names too. He stated that the kid must be an idiot not to notice my Hi-Viz orange jacket and ugly yeller helmet. The kid then approached the truck and punched the guy in the face. Then he jumped in the BMW, back up rapidly, and bugged out.
Holy ****, that escalated quickly

Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Glad that physically you're okay - just goes to show you that idiots can hit you anytime, anywhere and just how important it is to keep your head up looking out for them...

Old 05-30-2014, 05:59 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,439 Likes on 11,197 Posts

Besides arrested for hit and run, kid should also be charged for assault and battery on the driver of the truck. Did you ever get the insurance info from BMW the idiot?
X2 on stopping offset behind traffic ahead. Never stop on the oil stripe part of the lane. And keep your boot away from the oil too. Left foot down when stopped in the left wheel position and right foot down when stopped in the right wheel position.
And feel free to run a red light to avoid traffic that's not stopping behind you. If it can be done safely of course. And always stay stopped in first gear in case you need to move NOW.

Last edited by upflying; 05-30-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:02 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice job and good thread.
Any chance for an update?
Just curious regarding any type of charges.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you made it out relatively unscathed. I employ pretty much the same tactics while at a stop. I am constantly looking in the mirrors for an approaching vehicle, and when I see one coming I keep my eye on it until it has come to a complete stop.
Aside from left-turning retards, this is my biggest concern. Last bike wreck I saw was a sport bike guy get popped at a red by a cage, wasn't pretty.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

You might feel ok atm but get to a Dr. ASAP, and a lawer for your own protection, New ins. laws here give you only two weeks to seek treatment or your screwed! Many spinal injurys can and do take weeks or longer to cause pain or worse.

Quick Reply: Hey, is that guy gonna stop....er, no!!