General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time rider. Lots of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Local safety courses around here are about $50. No need to spend hundreds on a Harley sponsored one unless you have money to burn.

Myself, I've been riding off and on since the 70s, but my license expired many years ago, so I had to retake the written and do the course test to get it back. Taking the safety course was on my mind, but I just took the written, rode the hell out of the bike for a summer and then took the riding test. If you're brand new, take the safety course.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't need harley boots and gloves!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Welcome to the forum & riding! There's a lot of good people & info here.

Just 3 things to suggest to ya:

1) The course is not an option. Take it and learn. Then practice...a lot.

2) Do not listen to anything your buddies, who taught themselves how to ride, have to say about how to ride a bike until you've taken the course. After the course, you'll know if what they are telling you is worth remembering. I'm not trying to be a dick, just being honest. The last thing a new rider needs is to learn someone else's mistakes.

3) Ride your own ride. If & when you go riding w/ your friends, stay within your skill level. Don't be tempted to keep up or try something you're not ready for.

Best of luck!!

PS. Best way to search the forum is just use Google. Much faster & it'll turn up forum posts as well as other info.
What Mike said...couldn't have said it better myself.

The only thing I'd add is don't get sucked into the whole 'Sportsters are for beginners' thing. I ride a Road King because I'm 6'2" 220 pounds and like the extra room on a bigger bike...plus I have other, smaller bikes for back road riding...the RK is for longer trips. But my neighbor rides a Sportster and has for many years. It suits him perfectly...local commuting...day-trips...cheap/easy to maintain...he loves it. After a year or so of riding a Sportster you'll know what kind of riding you prefer, then you can buy the bike that fits your preference...it might even be the Sportster. I'd also recommend buying used, at least for your first bike...there are some great buys on used bikes out there.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 PM
funbikerchick
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Haywired
Take the course first and then go get your M endorsement. If you go pay for the permit you'll probably pay again when you go in to get your permanent endorsement. Definitely take the course before you start riding. Don't lock yourself in to a sporty either. Some of the other "bigger" bikes have a lower center of gravity and are more comfortable to ride. Your size is not that small where it would be a factor. Good Luck!
When I took the course (1991) you couldn't take the course without getting the permit first.

I would definitely urge you to take the course. It will be well worth the money and time spent. Plus you get an insurance discount.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Haywired
Road Master

Originally Posted by funbikerchick
When I took the course (1991) you couldn't take the course without getting the permit first.

I would definitely urge you to take the course. It will be well worth the money and time spent. Plus you get an insurance discount.
We can in Wisconsin, each state is different. It saved me around 35.00 at the time as I recall. Not a lot of money but it's still 35 bucks plus the time standing in line at the DOT testing place. I went in with my course certificate, took the written test and walked out with my M endorsement.

Good luck to the OP!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:29 AM
justplainjohn
Advanced

I'm a new rider myself, just got my license a month ago.
Definitely go take the course. I haven't been on a bike in over 20 years and I learned so much in those two days it was unbelievable. It's worth the money.
As for gear, I took mine in cowboy boots, jeans, and a long sleeve shirt. Had to use my sunglasses for eye protection and I just used Mechanix gloves that I use for working on my cars.
As for helmets, the MSF class I was in had more helmets than bikes. No issue there.
I believe the 883 is a good choice for your first bike. My MSF class was on a Suzuki 250 and I went out and bought a 1200 Sportster Custom. Probably wasn't the best idea, as I found it is was probably a little too big for me to start out on. There's definitely a learning curve going from a 250 straight to a 1200. BTW, I'm 5'11", 250 pounds.
Take the course. Ride a little here and there. Build yourself up, then hit the road.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take the class. If they DO NOT pass you in that class. Do not say to yourself ill show them and go out and buy a bike and go to the dmv and take the test.
Reason I say this and your thinking oh ill never do that. But reasoni say this is I know 3 people most recently my own mother who failed that class said ill show the and after riding 1 year. Memorial. Day weekend went down on her bike abd had surgery this last Monday because of it. Her going down was caused by the same reason they failed her in that class.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
DNC
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice from all above. When I took the MSF course (several years ago) here, in VA, it was $125 if I remember right; included them providing everything (helmet, etc.), all you had to do was just show up. Ran from Friday 6-9 (watch videos, talk about general safety, etc.) to Sunday. Both Sat and Sun were riding days; you had to pick what session (morning or afternoon) you wanted to attend. Overall about 4ish hours of riding each day. At the end of the course you took a practical application (riding) test and a written test (think that was done that morning). I already had a motorcycle permit, but you didn't have to have one to attend the course. All bikes were 250cc. Great course and instructors were spot on and demonstrated what they taught very well. Take the course as soon as you get a chance as they fill up pretty fast (at least around this area). Also, taking the course may qualify you for a 10% or so insurance discount down the road.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:05 PM
29of1050
Advanced
Default Take the Class!

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Take the course, first above everything else
If you buy Harley stuff over what an indie shop has, be prepared to pay 3x as much for the same thing
When you feel like you're ready, test ride the bikes you're interested in. Don't decide what to get until then
x 2! I think the Beginning Rider course is a must! I continue to take Advanced Rider classes periodically and ALWAYS learn something and get a good opportunity to practice techniques that I have learned in the past.

I live in Michigan and have family in OH so I often ride down 127 near your location. I love that ride. Good luck!