General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a very close Call Saturday......Wife is done riding.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
She was not enthusiastic about riding to begin with. She named my bikes "Widow Maker".
That's not good to start with. I'd think that if you keep riding, sooner or later, she's going to want you to stop, if she never rides with you again.

I know I hate riding without my wife. If she were to stop for whatever reason, I'd stop too.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Close call there....glad you're both ok! Something similar happened to me in deadwood. Needed a smoke right away!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:59 AM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you got out of the situation to tell about it. There is always a lesson to be learned by all riders when hearing about a close call. I, for one, don't always leave myself an escape route in these kinds of situations. I will sometimes stop behind a vehicle and think, **** I should have stopped on the other side, or **** I stopped too close. Gotta be more diligent.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:06 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,483 Likes on 11,210 Posts

Good eye watching your six.
Unfortunately you will take a loss trading the Ultra for a Sporty.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:16 PM
edpnjax
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Still shook up and have not ridden since.. Wife is done riding. Don't blame her. We were at a stoplight behind a Truck I pulled slightly in the space to the left of the truck ( I never stop directly behind a vehicle) The right lane was a right turn lane so I chose the left between two straight through lanes.

I glance in my mirror hearing the getting louder quick sound of someone standing on their brakes. I had time enough to slam the bike into gear and "jump stall" it into the space between the truck and the car to the left. The car behind me hit the truck.......

Wife said lets go home. I agreed. If it were not for the sound of skidding we would have been toast. SO I bought Vette yesterday so we can still enjoy something outside of the house together.

Since my wife is done I am thinking about selling the Ultra and buying a 1200T Sportster. I don't need a big touring bike if she is not going to ride. Or maybe buy a truck detach kit and make a Street glide out of it...Hate to spend $700 though not knowing what I will do. The Sporty is a one up bike and much more lithe. Going to get back on the bike today and See how I feel about things. She would rather me give up riding but I can't do that. Not now. I will never own a trike so when I cannot ride on two I am done.
Glad you and your wife are OK!

You made 1 classic mistake though ( in my opinion)... Never take the bike out of gear when stopped in traffic and always, always, always watch your rear when stopped in traffic! The few seconds that it takes to pull the clutch in and put it in gear would have been better used to get out of the way.

You did the right thing by getting to the side of the vehicle in front of you also..... I'm glad you survived it though!

I had a similar incident years ago, I should have been watching my rear better. Don't know if I could have prevented the accident that I was in if I had been watching, but I sure would have been better prepared for what did happen.

Last edited by edpnjax; 06-03-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad the you two are safe. Out of curiosity, do you know if the idiot was texting?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,865 Likes on 6,239 Posts

Went out early Sunday, and a couple towns west of here there was a big road block with cops, EMS, and a couple fire trucks. Turns out, a dually pickup pulled out of a side road in front of a Suzuki cruiser. Bike was still down when I went by. Ambulance had already left.

Read in the paper today, the guy didn't make it.
I was really enjoying myself until I came up on that accident. Classic "Didn't see him". They ticketed the truck guy. Sucks.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:53 PM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Still shook up and have not ridden since.. Wife is done riding. Don't blame her. We were at a stoplight behind a Truck I pulled slightly in the space to the left of the truck ( I never stop directly behind a vehicle) The right lane was a right turn lane so I chose the left between two straight through lanes.

I glance in my mirror hearing the getting louder quick sound of someone standing on their brakes. I had time enough to slam the bike into gear and "jump stall" it into the space between the truck and the car to the left. The car behind me hit the truck.......

Wife said lets go home. I agreed. If it were not for the sound of skidding we would have been toast. SO I bought Vette yesterday so we can still enjoy something outside of the house together.

Since my wife is done I am thinking about selling the Ultra and buying a 1200T Sportster. I don't need a big touring bike if she is not going to ride. Or maybe buy a truck detach kit and make a Street glide out of it...Hate to spend $700 though not knowing what I will do. The Sporty is a one up bike and much more lithe. Going to get back on the bike today and See how I feel about things. She would rather me give up riding but I can't do that. Not now. I will never own a trike so when I cannot ride on two I am done.
Don't want to spend $700? Man you went out and bought a Vette so you said.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:00 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbillywhisperer
Would you have been able to get out of the way if you were in the Vette or any other automobile like you did on the Bike?
This is the first thing that came into my mind.

It seems from the description that the vehicle behind was going to hit something, and it was a close call (but a miss because of alertness), but what if the op and his wife has been sitting in that corvette, rear-ended and pushed into a truck?

I'd say that karma was on the op's side for being on the bike!

Old 06-03-2014, 01:02 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbillywhisperer
Would you have been able to get out of the way if you were in the Vette or any other automobile like you did on the Bike?

THIS is what I'd be focused on...

A BIKE didn't almost get you killed, it possibly SAVED your life...

Quick Reply: Had a very close Call Saturday......Wife is done riding.