General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals on a Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 04:22 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Duals on a Heritage

I own a '14 Heritage and I am seriously considering duals (one on each side). I would like a 'richer' sound than the stock pipes and honestly I like the look of the duals from the rear of the bike.

I have read several experiences, from both sides and I thought I would ask you folks. Is this something that has proved to be foolish? Creating more problems than the look/sound is worth. I have also read that more extensive work must be done to the bike to avoid problems (intake, tuning, ??).

I have also read in this and other forums that some suppliers are better than others, as well as some who recommend not having the dealer do this.

Sure would appreciate your thoughts......

Old 06-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed V&H Softail Duals on the wife's '07 Heritage. Pretty easy and straight forward. She complained of excessive heat on the left side. The left side header runs over the top of the primary where those with short inseams can actually touch the pipe and get burned through their Levis (particularly when backing the bike up).
The solution for her was a Crotch Cooler from Captain Itch. He makes a unit specifically for softails with true duals.
No complaints now, just smiles. Happy wife - happy life.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,222 Posts

I run Sampson True Duals w/Fishtails. Looks bitchin especially w/whitewalls... I have no heat issues at all..

Old 06-16-2014, 02:03 PM
_Daswine_
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya I ran V&H true duals drag pipes on my 04 heritage, nice raspy sound and on decel it would back fire like a 48 Chevy. It looked good with the stock heritage look but I went a different route later on and went with Sampson street sweepers.

Attached Thumbnails Duals on a Heritage-image.jpg  

Last edited by _Daswine_; 06-16-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:16 PM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of choices, and its your ride and if you like a certain style and brand....Go for it, if others don't like it....oh well.....make yourself happy and proud that it is your own creation....

Old 06-16-2014, 04:56 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by petdoc94
Alot of choices, and its your ride and if you like a certain style and brand....Go for it, if others don't like it....oh well.....make yourself happy and proud that it is your own creation....
All true - in the end its totally up to me.....that being said, the basis of my questions to the group was to get a sense for what other's experiences have been......both good and bad.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

In general with most things Harley, if it looks good or sounds good it will probably negatively effect performance. Rarely do you get both.

With true duals, you can expect a slight performance hit but it may not be very noticeable.

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
I run Sampson True Duals w/Fishtails. Looks bitchin especially w/whitewalls... I have no heat issues at all..
I agree. Samson true dual fishtails look pretty nice... with whitewalls too. I have had no issues with the true duals, including heat issues.