General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 AM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I love how you guys all think you have this "seat-of-the-pants shifting thing down pat. You might learn something if you actually had a tachometer on your bike. There are reasons even the best racers in the world all have tachometers in the vehicle or bike. Shifting by feel/sound is one of those scenarios that looks good on paper but can have serious consequences in real life. You can't always tell if you're lugging your engine, and you can't always tell if your at engine redline, just approaching it, or have gone past redline. Don't bet your engine on a faulty rev limiter. My rev limiter wouldn't allow the engine to get past 5500 rpm. Having replaced the module with an adjustable unit, it now goes right to 6700 rpm and pulls like hell doing it. For my style of riding it's best to know, not guess.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by backplay
I love how you guys all think you have this "seat-of-the-pants shifting thing down pat. You might learn something if you actually had a tachometer on your bike. There are reasons even the best racers in the world all have tachometers in the vehicle or bike. Shifting by feel/sound is one of those scenarios that looks good on paper but can have serious consequences in real life. You can't always tell if you're lugging your engine, and you can't always tell if your at engine redline, just approaching it, or have gone past redline. Don't bet your engine on a faulty rev limiter. My rev limiter wouldn't allow the engine to get past 5500 rpm. Having replaced the module with an adjustable unit, it now goes right to 6700 rpm and pulls like hell doing it. For my style of riding it's best to know, not guess.
I'm pretty sure I've got the whole shifting without a tach thing down pretty well. So well, in fact, that I haven't even destroyed my engine! GMAFB.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

None of my race bikes ever had tachs. Sounds like you're pulling a play out of the shittiest playbook in the world; your *******.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 AM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Name calling? Really? That's the best you could come up with? Come back when you can speak without talking in inanities.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:25 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Name calling? Really? That's the best you could come up with? Come back when you can speak without talking in inanities.
Come back when you know what you're talking about instead of spreading mis-information and bull ****.

Twinkie riders...

Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 1200 Sportster and at 40 mph in 5th gear it's turning only 2000 rpm, borderline lugging the engine. So of course your little 883 would out pull him if you were in 3rd gear. What the hell kind of comparison are you trying to make? A blanket statement say 3000 to 3500 rpm is where a Harley motor makes its best performance is obviously coming from someone who doesn't know crap about a Sportster engine. I'd check my facts before making statements that have no validity.
Wtf are you talking about. I have some home work for you. Go to google and make a list of where every Harley motor makes its most torque and get back to us. Then consider why I made a blanket statement.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Well I certainly didn't mean for any of this to happen, but I do appreciate the bits of advice. I do use my tachometer along with feel and sound I guess. But since this is my first 103, figured I didn't have anything to benchmark with

Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Muttleybass
I try not to over-think it. I just shift when it feels right.

Too soon and it lugs. Too late and it sounds stressed.
That is it. I hardly ever shift much over 3k.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Well I certainly didn't mean for any of this to happen, but I do appreciate the bits of advice. I do use my tachometer along with feel and sound I guess. But since this is my first 103, figured I didn't have anything to benchmark with
Just dont lugg it. Most important, you are back on the road! For me the best part about today is it is cloudy and a little rainy. All the lugger fair weather riders will be getting up to see who is riding past. I have the roads all to myself!

Old 06-19-2014, 11:18 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
Just dont lugg it. Most important, you are back on the road! For me the best part about today is it is cloudy and a little rainy. All the lugger fair weather riders will be getting up to see who is riding past. I have the roads all to myself!
Thanks for that, little cloudy here as well and now stuck at work but hope to get out for a ride. Can't believe that I'm back on the road so quickly after the accident with the 48. I think their insurance company did an outstanding job I'd bet I was only off the road for two weeks. HD just released the title from the old one as well so I'll get the rest of the insurance money shortly.

Having a ball with this bike, going to be tough to not spend money on mods and get some good riding time in. Too bad my commute from home to work is only 2 miles.

Quick Reply: Silly shifting question